We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - family with seniors and child

Jackson, Mississippi
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report - family with seniors and child

We took a very quick trip to Hot Springs before school started. I had not been in 30 years, but enjoyed it very much. We arrived to our condo on Lake Hamilton on Thursday afternoon. It was raining, so we only ventured out for dinner, so not much to report there. Our group is not very adventurous when it comes to food, so we stuck to chain restaurants, but all of the restaurants we tried were good, clean, and had good service. On Friday, the rain cleared and the temperature was unseasonably cool. A great day for a hike to the falls at Lake Catherine State Park. We took the short route to the falls, as we are not hikers. (When you enter the trailhead, go to the left.) The hike to the falls was enjoyable and the falls themselves were beautiful. We decided to hike the long route back out. It was beautiful, but I would not take that option unless you are there for the hike, not just to see the falls. The trail total is 2 miles. The short route to the falls is .5 mile.

After we left Lake Catherine, we decided to go ahead and see Garvan Gardens since the two are only a few miles apart. After the hike at the lake, we decided to opt for a golf cart tour of the gardens to accommodate the seniors and child in our party. We would have never seen the entire grounds without this. I would ask the guide to stop more places. Ours moved pretty quickly, but the Gardens and chapel are breathtaking!

On Saturday, we left Hot Springs and drove to Little Rock to visit the Clinton Presidential Library. There was a stunning show of Chihuly glass, which, to me was totally worth the trip. In terms of the library, I was not as impressed with this one as I was with the Reagan library, but it is a beautiful building. That night we played mini golf at Pirate's Cove and had a great time being "touristy". We left Sunday morning headed home. But we will definitely be back before another 30 years pass!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - family with seniors and child

This is great info. Thanks so much. I would never have realized about the golf cart tour at Garvan. Glad we had some rain so the falls were active at Lake Catherine!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - family with seniors and child

I enjoyed your report! Hot Springs is in my own "backyard" so to speak & the hike at Lake Catherine sounds like something my family would enjoy. How old was the child in your group? My son is 8, so I'm wondering if the hike is easy enough for him.

Glad you enjoyed the Clinton Library too. I think it's one of the best things to happen to our city & state.

Jackson, Mississippi
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - family with seniors and child

Lee4, my son is 5, so I think your 8 year old would do fine. It was about 25 degrees cooler than normal the day we hiked, though! Blissful!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - family with seniors and child

Thanks Amanda! Sounds like that's a hike we need to try.

5. Re: Trip report - family with seniors and child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2016, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs