We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom & Pop Motels and Grub in Cortez

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Mom & Pop Motels and Grub in Cortez

We'll be passing through Cortez at the end of April and need to find a place to crash for the night there that is cheap. I dont like giving my money to chain hotels or restaurants. So, any old motels (neon sign type) and decent diner type places anyone can suggest? (we dont mind if its slightly divey either)

We'll be driving a uHaul with an attached car, so some place to eat thats within walking distance of the motel would be great..

Edited: 27 January 2010, 00:34
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom & Pop Motels and Grub in Cortez

We are usually pulling a trailer when we go to Cortez so have to look for places where parking isn't a problem.

We often stay at the Super 8. Yes, it's a chain, but they have good rates, very nice local workers, and, if I remember correctly, local ownership. Except on busy summer weekends, there's plenty of parking. The main thing is that it is within walking distance of two of our favorite diners.

Mama Ree's is in a tiny house across the street north from the Super 8, facing the City Market gas pumps. It's about as mom and pop as you get. Mama cooks breakfast (maybe just weekends, not sure) and makes the best biscuits I've ever had, bar none. Pop cooks lunch and dinner and the kids wait tables. It's mostly Italian but there are a few other choices and the food is very good, very reasonably priced.

Jack and Janell's Country Kitchen is also very literally a mom and pop operation, located on Main across from the park. Jack will very likely be the person who seats you and takes your money when you're done. Janell will be flitting about and, if she happens to find out you are a veteran or in the armed services, will be the one dispensing hugs and thanks--their son's picture (in uniform) is proudly displayed. They open at 6:30 a.m. and say, "We are family friendly comfort food at affordable prices" and I'd say that's true. Hubby says their prime rib is the best he's ever had.

Cortez has plenty of other locally owned restaurants as well, and a fair number of older motels. Most of them are affiliated with some kind of national chain (helps with advertising and name recognition) such as Days Inn and National 9 Inn. We have stayed at the Days Inn, and the owner was manning the front desk. It is an older motel which has been remodeled a bit and it has pretty good rates and plenty of parking, but you would need to drive to town to eat. Also click the "Cortez Hotels" tab to the left for info on the Tomahawk Lodge.

FITCHBURG
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom & Pop Motels and Grub in Cortez

This might be a little late but the National 9-- Sand Canyon is a quaint older property. Its clean and cheap compared to the chain hotels.

3. Re: Mom & Pop Motels and Grub in Cortez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Cortez