We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
84 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

We will be traveling from Madison, Wisconsin to Detroit, Michigan around the Chicago area this week. We need help on avoiding heavy traffic close to Chicago. Any suggestions on the fastest way to get thru this area?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

There is a speedy ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon, Mi., but it is pretty expensive. There is no way to avoid Chicago traffic unless you drive late, late at night. You will probably also run into some construction. I think the construction is pretty bad going south out of Chicago, at least it was in the spring.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

I looked up some info on the ferry. It takes 2 1/2 hours from Milwaukee to Muskegon. The price is $ 50.00 per person plus $ 59.00 for a car. I knew it was not cheap. You can call toll free

1-866-914-1010 if you are interested. They also have a web site www.lake-express.com, but I was having trouble getting the web site. This would save a lot of driving headaches.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

Yes, The Lake Express really is the best way to go. It may cost a bit, however, you must consider that you will not be using gas in stop and go traffic, I have even seen traffic jams in chicago at one and three in the morning on roads without construction. It seems random to me. Also, you will have to pay tolls to travel fastes through Illinois, which are not to be forgotten. Having to buy gas in Chicago can also be more expensive that most places, so the ferry isn't cheap, but it really isn't its price more.

Brooklyn, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

I never even knew about this! We go to the Ford Museum a couple of times a year. It takes us anywhere from 6-8 hours to get there depending on traffic, etc. About how long would it take if we used the express way?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
467 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

As far as the Lake Express goes, they have their own website. It is lakeexpress.com. It takes 2 1/2 hours to get across. The price of passengers is $55.00 one way, and the cost of your vehicle is $59.00 plus a $5.00 fuel surcharge. That is pretty expensive, at least to me. Anyways, if you want to drive from Madison around Chicago, take I-90 south out of Mad, when you get to Rockford, pick up I-39 South (do not take I-90 east), take that south until you get to I-80. Go east on I-80 around Gary, etc. and then pick up I-94 after Gary. You will avoid Chicago traffic but you may encounter some construction traffic around Gary, Hammond, etc. (for all I know, they are done)My mother always goes this route to avoid Chicago traffic. It takes a little longer but the nerves are a little less rattled.

Wisconsin
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Chicago traveling from Madison to Detroit

Ferry Caution: I took it from Muskegon to Milwaukee in July, 2005. One is required to arrive at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure if bringing a car. So I did. And once I was all checked in, was informed that the ferry would be an hour or more late. Which it was. Although it seemed like a nice sunny calm day until we got out into Lake Michigan, there was a LOT of rolling and pitching and some of us had to stay on the windy windy outdoor upper deck to keep seasickness in check. Not a good time, and not one I'll repeat, even though I really hate the Chicago cloggy traffic. It's a good option for people who are absolutely immune to motion sickness, and who come prepared for travel delays.

Get answers to your questions about Madison
Recent Conversations