We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football Weekend

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Football Weekend

Hey there..

I am hoping to attend a game in Madison this football season - I know hotels can fill up football weekends so trying to plan ahead.

Looking for help on hotels to stay in that are somewhat convenient to the stadium or easy to reach (as we will probably not have a car). I have checked the Hilton and Doubletree but hoping to find something a little cheaper.

Thanks!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football Weekend

Just about every hotel will offer you shuttle service to the game, if you can be ready a little ahead of time. Try the Concourse, the Inn on the Park, the Edgewater, and even the Best Western at University and Highland Avenues.

All are within 15 blocks of the stadium, and you can walk if you are so inclined, and if the weather is nice enough. If it's cold or raining, though, the shuttles come in handy!

If none of these are low enough in price for you, try checking on Kayak for something in your price range, and then call the hotel to see whether they offer shuttle service for home games.

Good luck!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football Weekend

kimmbobb -

thanks so much for these suggestions..I will look into them!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football Weekend

Unfortunately inexpensive hotels and Madison don't go well together--plus the hotel tax is pricey for a city this size. You could stay out by eastowne in a Motel-6 for $50 and take a cab downtown~$10 includes tip. It's a fun walk to the game from State St. Anything nearby will be expensive.

There's also a hostel 2 blocks from the Capitol. About $25/nite.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Football Weekend

A cab downtown for only $10. I can't imagine, but if I owuld take a cab from the westside (Middleton), it would probably be more like $15-20. Just my opinion, I haven't this often!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football Weekend

I ended up booking a room at the Best Western per kimbobb...seems close enough to the stadium even though it seems that it's a little further from "downtown".

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Football Weekend

Well, the Best Western is closer to the Stadium, so you can go recover from the game and then go downtown.

There are busses right across University that will take you to State Street, or you can take a cab each way for about $7.

I hope you have a great visit. It will be culture shock for a Southern Californian, except maybe the football part.....

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Football Weekend

thanks for the advice, kimbobb...

i look forward to the friday fish fry i've read about and I'm sure it will be a great weekend if the weather holds up and we beat the Badgers ;)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Football Weekend

Yea, from the Motel-6 a few blocks west of Eastowne to downtown is a straight shot--30 blocks. I used to live right across the street. Cabs are expensive, but not CA expensive. Middleton is a lot farther than 30 blocks.

You're fine where you are, it's close to the stadium, but it will be a cab or short walk downtown and you'll want to go downtown after the game.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Football Weekend

The Badgers lose??? Bite your tongue! :)

You were advised well - the Best Western a fine option for football weekends.

The best fish fry within walking distance of the Best Western is at the Blue Moon Bar (.com).

The best fish within walking distance of the Best Western is the fish taco at Tex Tubb's Taco Palace.

Neither of these are the best fish fry in all of Madison.

That's probably all the unsolicited advice that should be allowed by law. There's all sorts of game day stuff going on, but maybe you're already set for that.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Football Weekend

Thanks DickieRay!!!

I appreciate all advice, etc. Any game day stuff would be great to know as long as they don't mind some Spartans in the mix!! :)

I do know some Badger friends flying in from SoCal that weekend, too...so, I'm sure they'll let us know where to go as well.

But, I love TA to get everyone's thoughts...

Now...I just have to wait til fall.

Going to Milwaukee this summer, too...hard to believe I'll be hitting Wisconsin twice in 1 year.

thanks again, everyone!

Get answers to your questions about Madison
Recent Conversations