We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's dog friendly?

USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What's dog friendly?

I'm traveling back to my home of Madison for the first time in 9 years. I'll have my old Golden Retriever and we'd like to find a place to just hang out and watch people while I read a book. However, I see that the Union Terrace, the Arboretum, and the Farmer's Market all forbid dogs. Are there any alternatives?

I'd also appreciate up-to-date information on any restaurants that allow dogs in their outdoor seating areas. We're staying downtown.

Thanks,

-M

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's dog friendly?

Hello, I don't have a dog, but I did find this website that may help you. dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide… I know that my friends with dogs enjoy the off leash dog parks. I know that my brother-in-law used to go to Lake Kegonsa a lot.

Let us know if you find that the site isn't accurate.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's dog friendly?

Thanks. I was aware of that site.

My dog is old and a bit hobbled by arthritis, so an off-leash park with other doggies may be a bit overwhelming for her. But if you can recommend any locations in Madison for hanging out and reading a book with a canine companion, that'd be awesome.

Thanks,

-M

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's dog friendly?

Maybe Kimbob does. I know that you can have dogs on the Capital Grounds. So, while you can't go to the Farmer's market, you can watch it go by. Pam

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's dog friendly?

Hi, Mercurius 1 =

Most of the coffee shops on State Street allow you to sit in their outdoor seating with your dog alongside of you, provided that s/he is not blocking any of the other seating or bothering any other patrons.

I prefer to take my coffee over to one of the many benches around the Capitol and, after walking the dog all over the grounds to be sure every interesting smell has been identified, he is quite happy to lay next to me while I read or people-watch or just enjoy the beautiful weather.

My 7-year-old dog is a Shepherd/Lab mix, and a little intimidating to some folks, so I usually put him on the grass with a long leash. An older dog should not be as protective of you or turf, so I don't think you'll run into any problems.

The places that refuse dogs are mainly concerned with their liability if someone gets bit or steps in something that the dog leaves behind. The best thing to do is try a place out, and if they give you the evil eye, try somewhere different. I have been to both Brocach and Starbucks on the square with Jersey, and also to Michaelangelo's on State, and as long as it's not one of their busy times, no one has ever asked us to leave.

1s1
madison, wisconsin
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's dog friendly?

Walk the lakeshore path between the union and picnic point, and find an appealing spot to plop down in the grass or on a bench to watch the lake and the runners/walkers/bikers go by. No dogs right on the union terrace, and no dogs on picnic point, but anywhere in between is OK.

There is a small fenced-in dog park near the tennis courts where Bassett Street meets John Nolan Drive, if your pup would like a few minutes off leash.

And what about walking the path along Lake Monona, maybe past the convention center?

The capitol square makes for good people watching, and Farmer's Market is only on the square on Saturdays.

Another thought--Bascom Hill?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's dog friendly?

I'd just walk up State St and ask the waitress if you can bring your dog. Worst thing they can do is say no. We did that last year after the beer festival in August with my friends Portugeuse Water Dog, and we didn't hear any no's. We ended up eating at Tutto Pasta.

James Madison Park may allow dogs, not sure though.

7. Re: What's dog friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Madison
Recent Conversations