We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting U of WI

Silver Spring, MD
5 posts
Save Topic
Visiting U of WI

I will be taking my daughter to visit the university in 1/06. What hotels would be good choices for proximity to the school as well as restaurants/shopping for when we have some free time? I've had the Doubletree and University Inn recommended to me.

Also, do we need a car for a short visit? Given that the weather will be freezing I thought I might get one in order to drive around town but maybe we don't need one.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
465 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting U of WI

I am a student in the UW-Madison online Master's Program. I have to report to campus for one week every August. I have stayed at Dahlman's Campus Inn. This place is right on campus. It is clean, modern, has friendly helpful staff, has free parking and is very close to State St. I did have my vehicle with me and I was glad that I did. Sometimes things are just a little too far to walk so I would recommend getting or taking a vehicle. As you said, it will be cold so bring plenty of warm clothing. Sometimes the wind howls down State Street and it can be cold.

State Street is such an interesting place. Take it with an open mind.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting U of WI

You might also want to take a look at http://www.union.wisc.edu/guestrooms/.

Right on campus, and the rooms are as good as some of the hotels near campus. As a prospective student I was able to pay the union member room rate several years ago. You can catch the Route 80 campus bus (free rides) right outside either Union building.

Get answers to your questions about Madison
Recent Conversations