We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing Madison without a car

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing Madison without a car

If I were to come to Madison for a day or two this summer, to see the town, would it work to do it without a car, to see the place walking and on transit. Or would that be very difficult?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing Madison without a car

If you're in town for just a day, you can easily see the best things on foot -- Capitol Square, State Street, lakes Monona and Mendota. However, the way to see Madison is by bicycle, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

There are a lot of places to rent bikes, and one is right on State Street, www.yellowjersey.org/rentals.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing Madison without a car

I would agree that you can do it without a car. With a bike you can even get over the Arboretum and Monroe Street area or further out the isthmus to Olbrich Gardens. .

If you decide that you absolutely have to see a movie at the Sundance Theatre at Hilldale, there is a bus service. http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/ Also, the taxi are not bad in Madison and reasonable. They are not cheap, but they are better than typical small city taxi services which sadly exist only to drive medicare patients to their appointments.

Pam

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing Madison without a car

We meet again - You will find Madison a lot like Berkeley near the campus. Plenty to see and do within walking distance. Especially in the summer! Start looking at thedailypage.com for ideas on what's happening in town, and look in the Eats section under Madison Downtown for restaurants that you can easily get to on foot.

Like Berkeley, it's mostly flat with some hills to campus buildings and the Capitol. Not as crowded, and maybe a little cooler. I predict that you will feel right at home.

Let us know when you are coming and what you might be interested in doing, and we will steer you in the right direction. I can't tell from your Profile what to suggest.

4. Re: Seeing Madison without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 08:16