We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
758 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

I've never been to Mardi Gras, and I'd love to go some year, but I have young children. I know Mardi Gras can tend toward the R-rated, but I wondered if there are any Mardi Gras events or parades geared specifically for children?

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

Cocobam - I'm sure some of the local experts will give you more specific directions, but in general the families watch theUptown parades nearer the start and on St Charles Ave and the more hectic and adult crowd goes to Canal St. As a child there was NOTHING more magical than being out with the family waiting for the parades to roll. For the locals Carnival is a family event - schools are closed, those who can take off work, and familes spend the time together. Lots of kids participate in the parades. When you are a child in NO you have no idea of the "adult" entertainment that is going in and around the quarters. Do take your children.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

Absolutely agree with the previous post. Uptown New Orleans is great for kids and Mardi Gras!

Another good option is to come the "first" weekend of Mardi Gras, about 10 days before Fat Tuesday. This is "family weekend" and a great time for the kids to see parades and enjoy the festivities without the craziness of the following weekend.

New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

A few years ago a journalist, his wife and two teens stayed at our B&B to do an article on Mardi Gras with kids. The article re-appears every now and then with updated information. It recently appeared in the Chicago Tribune, see http://tinyurl.com/35j3ax.

You might also like...

…about.com/od/festivals/a/mgforkids.htm

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

Ditto what Cajunwave said, EXACTLY! Come the first weekend and stay at a hotel on St. Charles Ave. Bring some chairs, a cooler, anything you want, camp out on the neutral ground and have a blast with all the other families who congregate there. You will catch LOTS of beads the first weekend, too!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

Ditto what Cajunwave said, EXACTLY! Come the first weekend and stay at a hotel on St. Charles Ave. Bring some chairs, a cooler, anything you want, camp out on the neutral ground and have a blast with all the other families who congregate there. You will catch LOTS of beads the first weekend, too!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

Unfortunately so many 'souvenier' shops have risque shirts in their windows etc...but for Bourbon Street flashing etc...its the out of staters and tourists that go wild and do that...most locals just avoid it during mardi gras.

7. Re: Mardi Gras...with KIDS????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 01:16