We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras 2018

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Mardi Gras 2018

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to the Mardi Gras in NO but i have no idea of how much to take but arriving on the Monday 12th and leaving the following Sunday. I will be coming from LA from spending 5 days there, then moving on to New York after so just need to pace myself by having a daily budget. Looking to have round $800 for just the week in NO hotel etc is paid for (Is that enough?). Will mostly just be drinking and eating.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,041 Reviews
from US$44.50*
US$48.00
Free Cancellation
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
769 Reviews
from US$176.00*
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
719 Reviews
from US$31.50*
US$34.00
Free Cancellation
5 replies to this topic
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

You are catching the tail end of the big Mardi Gras festivities and will have only major crowds to contend with on Lundi Gras, 12 Feb and Mardi Gras day 13 Feb, 2017. Since your hotel is already paid for the $800 for the week you have budgeted should be fine unless you plan on fine dining every nite. There are plenty of places that offer happy hour food and drink specials but don't expect those on the 12th and 13th. If your hotel offers a continental breakfast that will cut down on your food expense. Hit the ground running on the 12th and 13th with parades, beverages and revelry then enjoy the rest of your time taking in the rest the city has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

$800 would plenty for both my husband and I to get by on, but we are not into fine dining, and aren't big drinkers. Also, we seldom eat lunch because we eat a late breakfast. I think you will be fine, unless you are planning three meals a day, with expensive dining every evening, and huge amounts of alcohol.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

Do be aware that Mardi Gras (Carnival) will be pretty much over at sundown on Tuesday, and completely over at midnight. On Ash Wednesday it will be like it never happened except for the beads hanging from the trees and power lines.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
los angeles
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

There are Happy Hours all over the French Quarter, lots of places have little sign boards out on the sidewalk. It is a good time for snacks and drinks. Many are half price.

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,831 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

Where is your lodging? We can recommend lower priced neighborhood "locals" bars.

Reply to: Mardi Gras 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted