We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday party ideas

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
Save Topic
30th birthday party ideas

I'm organizing a 30th birthday party for a friend who lives in the city. I'm from out of town, so some advice would be great!! I definitely want something themed. I had thought about renting a venue to do a murder mystery dinner (anyone have experience with this in NO?) gatsby style. Any recommendations for a location for 20-30 people? I should add that this party is upscaleish but with a budget. Open to other suggestions. We want some sort of activity/theme for people. It is adults only but 30s-40s so not a bourbon bar hop feel. Y'all have any suggestions?

8 replies to this topic
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,827 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

Since it could relate to the theme, what time of the year? Muriel's is an upscale, but medium priced, restaurant casual enough to adopt to most any theme. They do a great job with groups this size.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

We were at Napoleon House last year sitting inside, and in the courtyard area, there was a Roaring Twenties party going on. We had a great time watching everyone walk by in their twenties outfits. But, Napoleon House doesn't have a big menu. They may do catering there though, because I know they have wedding receptions there.

Mentioned in this post
Napoleon House Bar & Cafe
2,058 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
57 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

Google murder mystery new orleans.

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

It's for September 8th so not much time at all.

Lafayette, Louisiana
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

I did email Muriel's last night because that looks like a great place but it has an $1800 minimum for 20 people. Seems a little pricey

jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
261 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

If you can move the party to the 7th, consider the Rock N Bowl is mid-town for Thursday Zydeco night. They will set your group up with alleys with a private buffet and bar just for your group (food is really good since they also own the Old College Inn next door). Couple that with the best dance floor in New Orleans with all the regional zydeco dancers in attendance to dance with and this is a sure good time. If I could, I would spend every one of my birthdays here. This is where the locals go to celebrate and they are great to work with.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,292 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

I'm going to piggyback a little here. I'm also planning a party for about 20-30ppl in Dec. I've mostly been looking at restaurants like Joey K's.

And have the thought of one of the places at City Park....maybe Storyland which is kinda kitschy.

I also though about Rock N Bowl.

And Napoleon House which where we had our rehearsal dinner...it's a nice set up upstairs.

Mentioned in this post
Joey K's Restaurant & Bar
Joey K's Restaurant & Bar
799 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans City Park
New Orleans City Park
3,803 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Storyland
Storyland
89 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
2,058 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,292 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30th birthday party ideas

Just thought of The Columns Hotels - they have an affordable package - $20/person min 20ppl.

Reply to: 30th birthday party ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted