We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

Nevada
11 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

We plan on arriving 3 or 4 days before our cruise departs on January 7th. I'm looking for a good place to stay, as well as suggestions for things to do with my 18, 17, 17, 17 and 8 year old boys (six of us total).

If I wanted to sit in a bar and have a drink and listen to some music, are they even allowed to come with me and have a soda?

These are not the kind of kids that like educational/boring. Historical facts - architectural details - gourmet foods - no. Ghost/voodoo stuff - action - lots of food - yes.

5 replies to this topic
Midlothian, VA
Level Contributor
524 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

Probably need to look at one of the suite hotels. Lots of them in downtown NOLA. Reserve a ghost tour with Lord Chaz. He's the best and can read reviews on this site. Take them to the Aquarium, the Insectarium, both in/near the French Quarter. Can also take St. Charles streetcar, exit in front of Tulane University and there is a shuttle to the Audubon Zoo, which is on Magazine Street. They would also probably enjoy tour of Mardi Gras World, where can see lots of the floats used in parades.

Midlothian, VA
Level Contributor
524 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

You can take them to Mulate's, restaurant/bar with live Cajun music and also to Rock n Bowl, which is a bowling alley that has live music and dancing and drinks. Would need to check schedule to see who is playing which nights and would need a taxi/Uber to get there, as in Central City area.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

Alcoholic beverages are sold most everywhere, even to-geaux. If the establishment has significant food service, minors will usually be admitted unless there are gaming (poker) machines on the premises. Three Muses is a popular music/booze/food venue accommodating teens (reservations recommended). The are several cafes in the French Market, and Cafe Beignet in Musical Legends Park on Bourbon Street, that present live jazz and serve food and cocktails during the day.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

I took my kids, ages 17 and 14, to New Orleans last year. The 17-year-old generally likes historical sites while these types of places can be hit-or-miss with the younger one (just to give you a context for my reply....your kids may respond much differently to certain attractions than mine did). We took a "5-in-1 haunted" walking tour of the French Quarter with Voodoo Bone Lady and they both liked it. We walked around the French Quarter and various spots were pointed out but each stop had a story that went with it (pirates, vampires, ghosts, strange phenomena, etc). Though there was some mention of historical stuff, the spooky stories that went with each place kept their interest and was fun for both kids and adults in our party. Our tour was while it was still light out and I wouldn't call it "scary," more like fun stories with an edge to them. There were a few younger kids there and all seemed to be enjoying it. The later tour (which was sold out on the day we were there) may have been slightly spookier once it began to get dark.

My kids also thought Mardi Gras World was worth a visit (maybe not mind blowingly great but a pretty fun way to spend an hour or so) and then afterward watching the boat traffic on the Mississippi River for a little while while having a snoball or some beignets.

We considered doing a "movie tour" with the kids where a van with equipment to play video clips takes you around to different sites where movies have been filmed in the city. It sounded like it might be fun, if a little pricey. Unfortunately, we ran out of time before doing everything that sounded fun so I have no first hand experience of that tour, but you could check out reviews of it if that sounds like a possibility. If I go back, I plan to try it out with the kids.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo

The movie tour that John D mentioned is a lot of fun, but as he said, pricey. I think we paid $45 per person three years ago when we did it. Here is another suggestion, also pricey, but your kids would love it - a Segway tour of the Quarter.

Will you have a vehicle? If so, I can give you a great suggestion of somewhere to stay about 1/2 hour outside of NO.

Reply to: Itinerary/hotel with 4 teens & 8yo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted