We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

7 posts
Save Topic
Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

Hello, my daughter is getting married on the self proclaimed romance capital of the world:) Is it relatively safe to drive from palmayria and clark over to canal and down to whyndam hotel on royal street close to bourbon from between 8:00pm to 10:00 pm on a thursday night? I will have a dog with me. I read the other thread about parts of midcity being ok, some not, looks like one or two blocks off canal. Sorry to ask another tourist saftey question! Thanks for any help.

12 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

With the traffic on Canal St, it should be a safe drive.

As with any urban setting, lock the doors, and do not roll down the windows for anyone.

Good luck,

Hunt

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

I used to think having your doors locked would be the first line of defense. But now during these times, that doesn't matter anymore especially when a gun is being brandished...

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

keep your pepper spray at hand and don't stop for any red lights, just keep going

los angeles
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

You will be safe driving down Canal Street, taking the cautions recommended here. Also, being aware as you enter and exit your car in the neighborhood you are staying, as car jackings can occur anywhere.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

You will be fine. And please don't pay attention to the troll above and DO stop at the traffic lights. I lived in New Orleans for 12 years my daughter still does and using common sense about our surroundings (that we would use anywhere) we've never had one problem.

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

Thank u all:) i really, really appreciate all perspectives, because then i can use different ones depending on the present situation, may end up just being able to drive down road:) All or none may be needed. I am almost more scared of getting in a uber or taxi but i am wondering if that would be wiser? I have been watching crime maps and news and can see it happens everywhere and none of my family needs me to end up in a situation and may have my dad in the car. or if going over to i10 would help? The stop lights do worry me, i have had a gun pulled on me before. I do have pepper spray on keys mostly for unleashed dogs. Do people shoot through windows? I had wondered that before.like a local lady commenting on a news story said "it is a shame we have to live this way" i feel alot of pressure because family involved.

So questions

Uber or taxi better than driving?

I10 better than canal with all the stops?

Do people shoot through windows?

New one! Would u walk two blocks from Galotoires to wyhnam hotel at ten at night?

So appreciate u all thank u thank u hope your days go well :)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,836 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

For walking in the French Quarter, I wouldn't hesitate to walk most places in the FQ at 10 at night. There will be lots and lots of people out and about walking around, going to bars and restaurants.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

"Would u walk two blocks from Galotoires to wyhnam hotel at ten at night?"

Subject to exercising the prudence applicable to most all US urban areas, yes. I have walked through this particular portion of the French Quarter at all hours, many times. There is a convenience store, Unique Grocery, across the street from the Wyndham that attracts characters that some might find unsavory, but these folks seem relatively harmless except as relates to each other, and can easily be avoided by staying on the Whyndham side of the street.

Have not seen reports of folks being accosted in either Ubers or taxicabs, but you should be careful to verify licensing certificates (taxicabs) or the vehicle identity (Uber).

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

Geezus, people here can get worked up about non-issues faster than any other site. Yes, the drive is "safe" on Canal Street, which is six lanes wide and has lots of traffic.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd

I'm with JJNOLA on this. At one time we stayed at the Wyndham location three or four times a year and made that walk many times on my own and so have my daughters. As for driving down Canal, it's as safe as any other six lane, major thoroughfare.

Reply to: Safe to drive from palmaria and clark st down canal to whynd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted