We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabbie Chaos?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cabbie Chaos?

I just read the following post in the Las Vegas forum, comments?

For the people that say "I'm not tipping for someone who just whistles for a cab for me", the job is more than that. He keeps order in the line and keeps things running smoothly. I just returned from a visit to New Orleans where some of the big hotels did not have someone doing that, and trust me, it's worth a buck tip. In New Orleans you had people running up to cabs and cutting in lines, cabbies trolling the line for airport fares and ignoring people going shorter distances, all that kind of nonsense you don't see in Las Vegas.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

They must have spent a lot of time in the Taxi line to be able to gather all that information. I have never had a problem myself in New Orleans. It's been a year since I have been there so maybe things have changed. I have, however, waited in line for an extremely long time for a cab at McCarran airport.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,244 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

"They must have spent a lot of time in the Taxi line to be able to gather all that information. "

Not really. It was my post on the Las Vegas forum that's being referred to here.

If you read my post it says "some of the big hotels...". As in 3 of them. Spread out over a 4 day visit. Not sure why the other person cross-posted it here.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

I think they were just trying to give everyone a heads up about possible problems with cabs in NO. At least that was my take on it but I don't want to speak for them. Like I said, I haven't been there in coming on a year so maybe its changed. Sorry that your cab experience wasn't good.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

Irishfan;

Checked back in the LV forum ad yes it was your comment I quoted. I visit LV once or twice a year and like to check the forum, the reason I quoted you is I am planning a trip to NO and I wanted to hear local response to your comment. Frankly imo the situation you describe is choatic, cabs are the main way I get around in NO and I often get a cab at a hotel or restaurant. Do you want to expand on your comment?

I'm not trying to stir the pot I'm simply planning a visit and as a cab user am concerned.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,244 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

Well certainly giving the post a title like "Cabbie Chaos" is going to give the impression that there was some huge problem!

But on the street, in the FQ, at the airport there were no problems getting cabs at all.

The info in my LV post was related to some folks who didn't see the need to tip the guy at the hotel who gets you a cab, that's all. Don't let someone else put it in a different context and start a panic. :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

We've been visiting New Orleans at least once a year for the past 17 years.

We've never rented a car....we've always used taxis and public transportation and have NEVER had an issue with taxis.

Sure, sometimes there can be a wait (for example, at the end of the day of a Jazzfest weekend, to get from the fairgrounds back to the Quarter), but all in all it's been great.

Restaurants and bars are always happy to call a cab for us and it usually takes less than 10 minutes to arrive.

The taxi line at the airport is always orderly and efficient.

I have the number for United programmed into my cell phone so I can call from wherever I might find myself.

Taxi service in New Orleans is MUCH better than that in LV!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

"Cabbie Chaos?" Like ceway, my husband & I have been going to N.O. for many years (over 20) & have had no issues with cab service. We have taken cabs to & from the airport, restaurants, museums, hotels, & private residences... no problems. We also usually use United. Don't worry, it's not a free-for-all out there!

And as for tipping the doorman for hailing a cab? Yes!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

I have been to Las Vegas 3 times. You can not hail a cab on the street but have to go to a hotel to wait in the cab line. It can be a long wait to get through the 15 people in line so you can spend 30 minutes waiting, more if it is busy. I could never find one on the street to hail but always had to walk to a hotel to get in line.

In New Orleans, you can always walk to a normal corner of town and just call United to pick you up and the wait is usually only 10 minutes. Also in NO, the cabs are laid back about number of people in the cab and drinking in the cab. We once piled 6 people in a 4 door car cab. No problem.

In LV, the cabs are very strict about number of people and are picky about the route you take. I once asked the cab driver to take me down the strip and he said, "No. I don't drive the strip. You tell me where you want to go and I'll take the back roads and use back entrances."

I have never had trouble with cabs in NO. Don't get excited, use United. I always have their number programmed in my cell phone.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

Rereading my post, the cabbie choas heading was some over the top, apologize to all. The quote indicates a possible concern, the clarification by the original writer and comments from others clarifies even further sounds like there is no real problem except maybe at 3 hotels sooooo let's all go back to where to dine and hear some great music. Apologize for any offense.

10. Re: Cabbie Chaos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 11:20