We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

I want to personally Thank all of you for helping to make our New Orleans trip so wonderful. This was our second trip via Amtrak from West MI. I researched this trip for a year before hand and used many of your comments and suggestions. Here are some of my observations, will post in comments.

11 replies to this topic
MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Amtrak was fine. We knew what to expect. This trip we had a private bedroom with bath. Last trip we were in a Roomette. 3 hours late coming into New Orleans. Return trip was on schedule.

We stayed at the Place d'Armes. I had made reservations 6 months in advance with a AAA discount. I asked for a first floor room and was granted that request. Room right on the main courtyard, by the koi pond. Wonderful stay. Beds very comfortable. Large room, 3 windows and the door with a window. Some noise early mornings with people leaving and laundry carts but not an issue for us as we sleep with a sound machine. Our previous trip we were at the Provenchal Hotel. We both enjoyed his hotel more. Enjoyed the breakfasts every morning in the back quiet courtyard. Would return here in a heartbeat. Loved the location and everything about it.

Taxi's. We used United cabs 4 times. Each time we were in a SUV which was appreciated. All of our drivers were men over the age of 65. Set rate from train station to French Quarter. We paid $12 to the hotel and only $8 back to the station at the end of our trip. Absolutely no issues with any of the cabs. We tipped well, and appreciated our rides.

Union Station New Orleans. No issues. Again we knew what to expect. Was surprised to find 3 slot machines in the Subway inside the station. They were hidden behind 2 swinging doors but you can see the tops from inside the station. Husband killed some time and hit a bonus. Pay out of over $200 profit. He had to take his printed out ticket to the Subway cashier who cashed him out, using the subway till. Makes for a great story. I have never heard of these slot machines inside the station being mentioned before.

National WW2 Museum. We were not impressed. Too much reading and videos You can get all that information off of the internet. Husbands was expecting tanks, trucks, and planes. Due to construction we had to walk outside around 2 blocks to get to the big hanger exhibit with the aircraft. The tanks, trucks, boats etc had all been moved out of the building, due to construction (according to staff). We left disappointed.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Lots of construction along the river. Moon walk is closed. The observation platform across the street from Jackson Square is open but the view to the river is looking thru construction equipment. We took the River Streetcar twice and both times it was not crowded. There is also construction on the flood wall behind Café Du Monde. I remember reading somewhere that the city is going to build the flood wall higher. So all the nice bushes and trees are gone for sitting under in the shade.

Shopping. Loved it. Went specifically looking for a new ring to remind me of New Orleans. Spent one entire morning and afternoon on Royal Street. Oh my goodness. A lot of the jewelry stores did not open until 11 AM. I could spent my entire vacation on Royal. A few of the jewelry stores certainly send out a bit of a "snobby" vibe. We laughed it off and kept going. I had an idea of what I was looking for and it was fun to look. We didn't find anything the first walk thru. So we ended up at the French Market. I knew of a couple of recommended silver dealers to look for. Again we knew what to expect with the French Market. It was busy but I enjoyed looking. Certainly a different class than the upscale stores on Royal but still fun. I did find some

things to purchase and was very happy with what I found.

We went back to Royal and I found my ring at Bijou Nola, just off Royal. Loved this store. I had found this store online and loved what I saw. My ring had to be ordered, sized and shipped home. Estimated 2 week delivery. It should be here to me tomorrow, so that just over 1 week.

Later in the week we walked lower Royal thru all the art stores. Note: probably the best sidewalks anywhere in the French Quarter. Newer cement, not the bricks. We really loved that area for the stores.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,191 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Slot machines at Union Station? That is a new one to me, and thanks for that tip. Though we will not likely use those, the info will be helpful for others.

Glad that you had a great trip, and thanks for the TR.

Hunt

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Thanks for the trip report. Place dArmes is one of my favorite hotels in New Orleans - you just can't beat the location!

I am also not a big fan of the WW2 Museum for the exact same things you said - too much reading and we had to wait behind others to even get close enough to read the stuff (at least on the day we went there). The Museum is so much loved on here that I always hesitate to say that I'm not crazy about it. I did enjoy the Tom Hanks movie, and the American Sector Restaurant, but as far as the museum itself, not so much.

Clarks Summit, PA
Level Contributor
121 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Thanks for your trip report. Will all the tanks, planes, etc be out of the WWII museum and in the building you mentioned for a while? We are going in January and that is one place we were going to stop (my husband loves that stuff)...this is HOW I am getting him to go to NOLA. I always wanted to go and he was just meh until I mentioned the museum... now I might have a problem. 🙄 Thanks!

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
693 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Great report.

Always looking for jewelry in vacation spots. And Bijou Nola looks wonderful! I usually went to Thomas Mann's spot.

And thank you for the honest review of the WWII museum. Nice to have first hand knowledge. All anyone ever has talked about is that it is good and the movie is wonderful. Not what to expect...like you gave.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

NancyBJ That is a question I cannot answer. I can tell you that there were air craft in the hanger on display but they are stacked suspended from the ceiling. To get closer to them, it involves an elevator ride to 3 different floors, then a walk out on layered catwalks. I am guessing maybe 6-8 different aircraft on display up high. One display on the hanger floor was a front nose of a bomber. That was the only thing we could get up close to. There was also 1 jeep type vehicle, which husband later discovered was a replica of the real thing. That was another disappointment. If that vehicle was a fake, what else could be? Those were the only things on the ground floor of the huge hanger building. Lots of empty floor space. There is also a small exhibit on the second floor of the Metal of Honor Recipients.

Edited: 17 November 2017, 12:52
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

I'm a big fan of the WW II Museum. Numerous informative pavilions with three more under construction. Part of the Smithsonian. I have found numerous audio visual presentations. Recently I spent time at the Arsenal of Democracy but have also done the Atlantic campaign, Pacific campaign, Road to Berlin etc. There is a restoration pavilion that restores actual artifacts. Also rides are now offered for an additional fee on a restored PT boat on Lake Ponchatrain

Suggest you download the App with the Museum Guide. Number 2 museum in the world on Trip Advisor BTW.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,576 posts
6,407 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Thanks for your trip report.

We went to the World War II museum. We liked the 4D movie and also the STEM museum the most.

We also liked the special exhibit on Louisiana role in World War II; that was new information or us.

But I too understand what you are saying about the museum. Its a macro level on World War II.

We liked the Pacific National Museum of the Pacific War we saw in Texas the week before more.

Level Contributor
3,446 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11

Thanks for the great review. We did love the WWII museum but agree there is a ton of reading. I like seeing museums in person vs just reading info on the Internet. After being in Normandy & Germany last year it brought it all home seeing the displays for us. Thanks for posting.

Reply to: Thanks to all. Mini trip report New Orleans November 6-11
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted