We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and New Orleans

Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and New Orleans

I have been looking at accommodation and am so confused, I've read that staying with kids near the French quarter isn't a good idea, I'm looking at LaQuinta suites Downtown , The holiday Inn Chateau Lemoyne and Staybridge suites French quarter/downtown. I guess we don't want to be confined to a room of a night, we have visited many other states in the US and like to walk around at night ( until about 7pm) just wondering if the above mentioned hotels are in an area that we can do this and if not what areas can you recommend, it's myself my mum (60) and 2 kids 15 & 13. Any recommendations to help with my search would be great.

11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids and New Orleans

I’ve travelled through different cities in Europe and see many similarities in New Orleans. I will be bringing my children there and to the French quarter for as long as they’ll let me. We’re spending our first Christmas there this year with our 10 month old (very excited).

That being said, there are drunk people and there are adults only type clubs. They would certainly see things that would open up conversation for questions (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!).

Anyhow, I’m not sure that helps. The French quarter until 7pm seems like the better choice to me. I’d stay in or near the FQ.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids and New Orleans

There is no reason to avoid staying in the French Quarter with kids. Just avoid Bourbon Street. The rest of the Quarter is fine. We have taken all of our 'kids' who are now adults, to New Orleans with us, and now we are in the process of taking our grandkids. Last year, we took our grandson, age 14, and granddaughter, age 8, during the week after Christmas. They fell in love with New Orleans and can't wait to go back.

Regardless of where you are in the Quarter, though, you will most likely see some offensive t-shirts for sale in shops. I'm sure my grandkids noticed them, but they didn't say anything. They have probably seen much worse on tv.

Have a great time - New Orleans is a great place to visit with your kids!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids and New Orleans

You’re confusing the concept of “French Quarter” with the concept of “Bourbon Street”. The “adult” and “action”’portion of Bourbon Street only constitutes a small portion of the French Quarter, much of which is residential in nature. The portion of the French Quarter between Royal St and the River is family friendly, close to the most popular family attractions, and walkable until 10 PM or later.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids and New Orleans

Absolutely! I thought of this as well after I posted. It can certainly be avoided.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids and New Orleans

+1 for Loopwhole’s reply.

The French Quarter is too often defined by a few blocks on Bourbon St, and offers great proximity, and charm.

With the exception of a few restaurants in the “fun zone” on Bourbon St, we generally avoid most of it, and are senior adults, who grew up in, or near New Orleans. Ninety-five % of the FQ is NOT those few blocks of Bourbon St.

Best of luck,

Hunt

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,837 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids and New Orleans

I agree. Just dont hang out on Bourbon street and you'll be fine. That leaves a lot of the FQ to stay in and explore. And no reason to necesarily be back at the hotel by 7 if you don't want to be. There will be lots of families out and about for dinner, carriage rides, etc.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids and New Orleans

Not sure about your desired room configuration and bed types, but you might want to consider the very family friendly Place d’Armes.

Most would not find the Staybridge Suites or La Quinta locations to be particularly convenient.

Edited: 18 November 2017, 20:27
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids and New Orleans

I have kids and we stay in Saint Charles Ave., in the Garden District. Nice area and also right next to the streetcar.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids and New Orleans

Of the 3 hotels you list only the Holiday Inn Chateau LeMoyne is in the French Quarter on the corner of Dauphine and Bienville Sts. It has a nice pool but don't know if it is heated. It is only 2 blocks to the Canal St Streetcar Line and close to the Rampart St line and St Charles St line. Good restaurants nearby. 4 blocks to the Mississippi River and French Market area. One block to Bourbon St. Kids might like the Insectarium, Aquarium, French Market, Riverwalk, Jackson Sq which are easily walkable.

Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids and New Orleans

Thanks everyone for your help, it certainly makes the decision on where to stay easier. They aren't offended easily believe me but I just didn't want to be stuck with the party goers and needed to work out which was a good area. You have all been very helpful thanks again

Reply to: Kids and New Orleans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted