We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louis Armstrong Park

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Louis Armstrong Park

Is the park safe to walk around of a day. It would just be myself and my husband.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

Safe, probably. Not sure WHY you'd want to, though. There's really nothing there post-Katrina.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

I always wanted to go there, I know congo square is there, but I've been to NO twice and still haven't gone, maybe it's one of those things you do just to say you went there, idk

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

I walked through in the middle of the afternoon on my last visit. This was before Katrina. There wasn't much there at all just a park and a statue. I do remember some vagrants sleeping on the benches in the park. I never felt threatened by them but I would recommend being cautious nevertheless.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

Before I went to NOLA 2 years ago, I read a travel book or two I picked up from the library. There was a lot of good information that I got from the books, and that along with the trip advisor forum made all my trips a sucess story. I do recall the book forewarning about that park, so I knew to steer clear. The book also recomended Donna's Bar which is across the street. It said it wasn't in the best area , but worth going to, just cab it in and cab it out. We did just that, but I tell you, when that cab dropped us off , I made the biggest dash from the cab to the bar, like a bat out of hell!!

I was comfortable in the bar and had a good time. When we called for the cab, it was taking awhile, apparently others had called after the band was done, so we kept looking out the door to check on the cab. At one point we stood right outside the entrance, figuring it would come any minute. It didn't and the "bouncer" or whatever he was came out to make sure we were good, I guess we did not look like locals.I got the impression that even standing right by their front door wasn't a good idea. We went back in and I think they called the cab company to make sure they were on their way for us.

Then last year, with French Quarter Fest, and Wynton Marsalis in Congo Square, we wanted to check that out. On this day, it was fine to go there since there was this big event, there would be people and cops all over. We went for an hour or so, of course it was safe due to the police presence and the event itself. Before the music started we walked around that park slightly, and honestly it is not at all impressive. Within a few seconds we made our way back to the music stage. I think we took a picture of the Louis Armstrong statue and that was it.

Was there something ever really special about this park prior to Katrina? I just get the impression there would be a

I wouldn't think it's a good idea to really walk in any isolated park at night whether it is in a good or bad neighborhood for that matter.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

I saw some pictures on a web site and it looked quite nice. That was why I wanted to go Cajunwave. City park looked beautiful but i believe that sustained quite a lot of damage.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

I see on my previous post I must have accidentally deleted part of my sentence. I was going to say that I got the impression there was some drug dealings going on in Armstrong Park. I think it is locked at night to deter people from entering,

City Park I think is still worth checking out. We went before Katrina and after. Sure there was damage but it is still there and the sculpture garden is definately worth seeing.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

Thanks Patty 24.

Will go take a look at city park and give Armstrong park a miss then.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

Please plan a visit to City Park...at 1300 acres, it is one of the largest urban parks in the country. Just seeing the collection of live oaks (some more than 600 years old!) is worth the trip. Of particular interest to you might be the Sculpture Garden, the Botanical Gardens (including a Train Garden) and perhaps a visit to the New Orleans Museum of Art. Here are some links for you to explore:

http://neworleanscitypark.com/

http://www.noma.org/exhibitions.html

Ralph's on the Park is a fabulous restaurant overlooking the park and one of our favorite destinations for a great night out.

Enjoy!

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

We are planning to visit the Art Museum, blieve there is a scultpure garden? Was thinking most of a day between these two plus lunch or early dinner at Ralph's. We will be in town 9 days so have time to explore.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Louis Armstrong Park

Yes I agree that City Park is quite beautiful with all the oak trees. As a matter of fact the picture by my name is actually of me standing by one of the beautiful oak trees. I forgot that picture is even there. It is rather small.

We never went near the childrens section where I think there is a small train ride. Does anyone know if this section is still there?

Last year when we went back, there was damage here and there but nothing so terrible.