We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

Lawton
1 post
Save Topic
French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

A few of my friends were there the other day and were arrested without being told why, they were not read their rights. The officers treated them horrible and the jail was a textbook version of human rights violations. Several other people were put in there too and come to find out all of them were from out of town. None of them were even from Louisiana. They were harrassing many people throughout that area and I do not recommend anyone going there because might have the same thing happen to the. Within that one night about a 100 people were put in one cell. I could go on about how horrible the Sherriffs department was but all I have to say is that from their experience I will not be going there and I suggest no one else supports that type of behavior and corruption.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

Is it possible your friends were not used to police not taking a bunch of crap from a bunch of rowdy drunks? Maybe an overnight in a group cell will prove to be a valuable lesson for your friends long term.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

I find it hard to believe that your friends were arrested without knowing why. Come on! And as for "a textbook version of human rights violations", that's a bit much. The city jail is certainly no place anyone wants to be but if you want human rights violations, try Iraq or Darfur, not the New Orleans pokey.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

I have been to New Orleans 30+ times and have never had an e encounter of any thpe with the police. From what I have seen of them, even during Mardi Gras, they go out of their way to be friendly and helpful to tourists, unless you are causing trouble. Twice during our Mardi Gras trips we saw fights break out in the French Quarter, and the police were there within seconds to stop the fight from getting out of control. I think your friends aren't telling you the whole story behind their arrest, and I don't think it's even possible to put 100 people in one cell

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

The 8th District police are known for their skills at breaking up fights and rowdiness in the area and their reasonableness..this 'story' has a strange ring to it.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

Yeh, sorry but I don't believe one word of your post, especially considering this is your only post you've ever written. Next time don't post something about your "friends" experiences. Let them post.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

Sadly I have seen officers arrest people for no reason or deal too harshly with others. During Mardi Gras while I was on the balcony of the Bourbon Orleans the transport van they use was parked below us. They were hauling two guys across Bourbon to the van. A full cup of beer was thrown at the officers. The last officer following the others got hit by it and turned in the direction it came from. One of the guys in the crowd pointed to another guy who had absolutely nothing to do with the beer and wasn't even paying attention to the police. The officer grabbed him and drug him toward the wagon. He protested quite a bit but never resisted. We have video tape of it and watched it again later. You can see the beer come from way back in the crowd. Why this guy blamed the other other I have no idea. The van took off as soon as they were loaded.

I had separated from my friends once on Bourbon St to go to different bars. I was only about a third of a block away when my friend I had just left got jumped by a group of college kids. I ran back to help him as he got hit in the side of the head with something that was thrown at him cutting his eye pretty good. Once I got back with another friend and started to fend them off they took off down Bourbon. The front doorman of our hotel (Inn on Bourbon) had called the police since it took place right outside. I waited for the police officer for about fifteen minutes or so and when the one officer arrived he was on his cell phone. He came into the front desk and asked the clerk about the fight. I said I was involved and he asked what happened. I explained it briefly and said my friend was upstairs nursing his eye. I told him they ran off and he said ok and walked away. He never hung up his cell phone call and resumed talking as he left.

I have two more similar incidents but I will keep it short. I think there is more to Sonia's story too but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to me. Luckily it was five years ago since the fight and I haven't seen anything similar since. Still I would never label the entire police force to be corrupt or abusive just because I saw a few bad apples.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

Sonia's post was plain irresponsible. There are many businesses in the FQ that rely on tourism to survive and to post a message without any specifics is just wrong. Heck Sonia wasn't even there.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Quarter/ Bourbon Street

I really think Bourbon St. is lame and cheesy in the blocks from Canal to St. Ann. It is just too wild sometimes especially at MG. How many strip joints, daquiri shops and t-shirt shops do you need ?

A wise person will avoid crazy situations like you described to prevent trouble. That is why I tell people to go to Bourbon St. to see it and go spend time elsewhere in the City like the Marigny and Uptown.

I would guess your "friends" were very drunk, peeing in public, flashing male genitals or just being idiots.