We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

Does anyone know if the La Madeleine's in Jackson Square is open? Also, there were 2 on St. Charles--one kind of in the middle and one down at the end. I'm wondering if the one in the middle is open anymore or not. I didn't see it or the Jackson Square location listed on their website. We're staying at the Homewood Suites, so I thought these two might be easier to get to than the one at the end of St. Charles.

I know these aren't true "New Orleans" places to eat, but my husband and I have always loved eating a meal here and getting pasteries and breads to take home with us--we don't have anything like this where we live. So, I am hoping for a visit to one while we are in NO. Thanks for any help you can give!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

I always loved the LaMadeleine's at Jackson Square, too, it was a great place to eat and look out on the Square. Unfortunately, I don't think it ever re-opened after Katrina. I am pretty sure that the one at the end of the St. Charles streetcar line is still open, but I don't know about the one in the middle.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

Thanks for letting me know about the Jackson Square location. That's really too bad that it didn't come back after Katrina. I always thought the food was good and was very impressed with how well they handled all the people in there--it seems like it was always packed when we went by there.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

Theres always croissant' D'or on Ursuline for all those decadent type foods.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

I know there was a lot of talk/discussion/negociation about the La Madeline's Jackson Square location becoming, of all things, a Starbucks. Fortunately, the locals protested this loudly, and this idea died at quick death (whew!).

I also heard a rumor that Stanley's was thinking about moving into that space, but unfortunately, I heard that fell through as well.

I've also heard that the space needs a LOT of structural work, which would apparently (surprisingly) be the obligation of the tenant, not the owner of the building.

In addition, I imagine the rent would be atrocious.

It's too bad. It's sad to see such a great location sit empty for so long.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

I am actually planning/hoping to visit Crossiant D'Or while in town. Would you believe that after coming to NO on and off for over 11 years or so, I'd never heard of that place until recently? So sad, I know. Anyway, I hope to get in there on the Sunday that we come into town b/c someone mentioned that they are closed on Mondays (so no breakfast there that morning). I am hoping we'll either get there in time for a light lunch or at least pick up a few goodies to go.

We're staying at the Homewood Suites--901 Poydras. How far would this place be to Crossiant D'or? Thanks!

Oh, very interesting about what will become of the old La Madeleine's in Jackson Square. That is a fabulous location and it was always busy, as far as I remember. I am sorry to hear the space is in such poor condition. I wonder why?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

Croissant d'Or is more than 20 blocks from the 900 block of Poydras. It's not an unpleasant walk during the day, if you're of a mind to do it. Personally, I'd take a taxi.

It is a wonderful place, by the way, and it's one of my favorite early morning places in the French Quarter.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

RodinLouisiana--Thanks for that information. That seems like a long walk to me--I'm thinking of the heat and humidity playing a factor here. We'll have our 1 year old with us and he would be in a stroller. I wonder if we're better off trying to drive over to the FQ and park somewhere there for a bit?? We are probably going to be coming into NO late morning or early afternoon on a Sunday and our hotel room might not be ready when we get to town. We may need a little diversion with our son and will want to get lunch.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

As I recall, there's a lot behind the Jax Brewery, on Decatur. If you turn right just before the brewery, as you're headed downriver, then go almost to the levee, the entrance to the lot will be on your left. I believe you can drive a couple of blocks in this lot, until you get almost to the French Market, which is where Ursulines runs into Decatur. The Croisant d' Or is only a couple of blocks from there.

Pushing a stroller on the sidewalks/streets in some parts of the French Quarter is no easy task. The sidewalks are uneven and you need to watch out for holes where the covers to the water meters have been stolen.

Perhaps some of the locals will check/critique my directions. It's been quite some time since we've parked in that lot.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

RodinLouisiana, Thanks for the information about the parking lot. I kind of think I remember where you're talking about. I will get my husband to do a little mapping for us and figure out our best route to get over there. Thanks for the tips about a stroller in the FQ too. We'll just have to be careful and watch where we're strolling! Hopefully, we can park fairly close to Crossiant D'or and that will make the walking we have to do with a stroller minimal. You are a great help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Madeleine's Bakeries locations?

La Madeleine's riverbend location is open but the other two are indeed closed. It's too bad as I enjoyed the one in the FQ occasionally. I haven't heard that the Starbucks idea is "dead" but I hope that's the case. I think the Seattle coffeemeisters would find the going tough at Jackson Square, just as Krispy Kreme did a couple of years ago. That store lasted all of about six months.