We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Hi Foodies!

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to help us maximize our short time in New Orleans. My husband and I are headed there this wekend. It will be a first visit for both of us.

It is all about the food for us (well, that and a couple of good night's sleep away from our baby boy!).

We arrive at 11 am Saturday morning and will stay through Monday Noon.

By my calculations, that gives us 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 2 dinners. We would LOVE to hear how you would allocate your meals!

We are staying at Le Pavillion (CBD near FQ, if I am not mistaken).

No budget constraints but we don't shy away from dives with great food, either!

Reservations may be a problem at this late date, so any tips you have on securing a coveted table are also appreciated!

We are holding a reservation at Brennan's for Sunday brunch but could change it if someone has better ideas. Commander's appeared to have no open tables until the following week!

Thanks to everyone - hope you have fun with this one! Best, ECT

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

I recommend Brigtsen's for a very special dinner. They are located at 723 Dante St. in uptown NO near the intersection of Carrollton Ave and St. Charles Ave. You must have reservations. Dress is business casual. Coat and tie or jackets for men are not required.

From their website:

www.brigtsens.com

Since 1986, we at Brigtsen's have been sharing our love of New Orleans cuisine with our guests. Come and have dinner with the family.

Gene Bourg, writing as restaurant critic for The Times-Picayune, described Brigtsen's Restaurant's interpretation of Creole/Acadian food as a "reaffirmation that Louisiana cooking is America's most durable and satisfying. Brigtsen's is now the place against which all other restaurants serving South Louisiana cuisine have to be measured."

Dinner Tuesday - Saturday

5:30-10:00 PM

Closed Sunday & Monday

For Reservations, please call 504-861-7610

Belle River, Ontario
Level Contributor
396 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Next time we're there, I want to go back to Snug Harbor (on Frenchman Street) for dinner -- BBQ shrimp is darn tasty -- and stay for the jazz later on. This weekend they have Steve Masakowski and Ellis Marsalis playing guitar & piano together (Sunday the 9th).

When we were there last year, we got to the restaurant too late and the show was already sold out. The food was *very* good and the place attracts a lot of locals coming in for dinner and jazz.

Very nice place to be.

Have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Thank you both! I had heard of Brigstens - Sounds great!

Had not come across Snug Harbor but "music" was to be my next forum search after I had some restaurant reservations in place.

As it stands now, we have just managed to secure a table at Commander's Palace for Jazz Brunch (which will replace Brennans) and Arnaud's for one dinner. If I add a dinner at Brigsten's followed by shrimp/drinks/music at Snug Harbor, I am well on my way to a great NOLA weekend.

Look forward to hearing more ideas - I can already see that we will need to return to this city. Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Dinner-Brigstens & K-Paul

Lunch-Mr. B's, Napoleon House,

Breakfast-Coffee Pot, Petunia's

Leave room for beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du'monde

Don't fill up on the peanut butter sandwiches and milk at the 10PM Le Pavillion snack time in the lobby.

Call as early as you can when you decide on a place to eat. A coveted table isn't as easy as passing a ten spot to someone and don't say you're from FEMA or you'll see the parking lot real fast.

new york
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

The food at Palm Court 1204 Decatur 504 525-0200 is fantastic!! I wanted to lick the plate. I love New Orleans and went there 7 times in the last year just for a few days and I eat out the entire time and I found the PC to be the best. And the Jazz is very good also.

Bon Appetit,

Mona

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

While at Arnaud's be sure to get the potato souffle

HYDE PARK...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

As foodies you would enjoy the Chefs Table at Melange (in Ritz-Carlton).

The Chefs on duty create a totally unique menu, prepare it in front of you and serve it at an intimate table in the kitchen. and each course is paired with wine.

It may be too short a notice but I would check in to it.

We were there in June for our 13th Anniversary and I booked it as a surprize for my husband...he is the chef at our B&B in Hyde Park, NY...& he enjoyed it very much!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Check out www.opentable.com. I saw lots of wonderful restaurants available for this weekend.

We love Galatoire's, D*ck and Jenny's (Uptown on Tchoupitoulas), Commander's, and Irene's in the Quarter. Only Commander's takes reservations.

Enjoy!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
1,122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

i would lunch at either domelises in the garden district or the acme oyster bar in the quater. sup at k pauls in the quarter, breakfast at the camilla grill, lunch at the gumbo shop in the quarter and sup at commanders palace.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your dream eating plan for a weekend in New Orleans?

Congratulations on getting a Commanders' reservation. Maximize your visit there. Beg for a table in the Garden room upstairs (as close to the windows as possible) and tell them you will wait as long as necessary for it. Show up early, dress pretty nicely and ask if you can wait in the kitchen bar for your table. There you can look for the next iron chef working away in the kitchen. The bartender will point out the future superstars. Take a walk in the Garden off the bar area. Order adventurously. Ask the waiter if they can serve you their lemon flan for dessert even if it is not on the menu. I haven't done all this post Katrina...I assume it all is just the same but things may be different. Get there even earlier and park several blocks away (kind of behind the restaurant in the direction toward downtown) and wander past the gorgeous homes (which hopefully are still there in good shape).