We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

Two happy developments, beginning with a holiday gift to city kids:

Following an extensive two-year restoration, the storm-damaged 101-year-old City Park carousel will reopen on November 23rd. The magnificent carousel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and worth a gander should you find yourself in City Park — with or without kids in tow.

ALSO....

The entire St. Charles Avenue streetcar line may be up and running by Christmas! The RTA is pushing to restore service to the entire route months ahead of schedule. Currently, the cars stop at Napoleon Avenue.

Many of St. Charles Avenue's grandest houses are above Napoleon Avenue — between Napoleon and Audubon Park. With full service restored, you'll be able to:

1. Gawk at houses on upper St. Charles, and/or

2. Hop off at Audubon Park, and/or

3. Ride to the end of the line, and ride back again, and/or

4. Get off at Riverbend and grab a burger at Camillia Grill!

Special Offer
Three Hour City Tour of New Orleans
155 reviews
from US$36.00*
US$47.70
Special Offer
Hurricane Katrina Tour of New Orleans
61 reviews
from US$42.01*
US$51.00
Combo Oak Alley Plantation and New...
3 reviews
from US$99.00*
New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

The reopening of the City Park Carousel should add a little sparkle to this year's Celebration In The Oaks festivities. I know I can't wait to see it this year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

They're busy decoration the carousel for Christmas. The park will be beautiful this year.

Sure wish I could get away for the holidays.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

I will be there the week after Christmas - having the streetcar running it's entire route would be the best Christmas gift I could receive! Nothing compares with a beautiful, leisurely ride all the way up St. Charles. I will keep my fingers crossed...

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

Thanks for the wonderful news! I'm surprising hubby with a birthday trip the weekend before Christmas and he loves the streetcars.

Jennifer

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

We rode the Carousel this past Friday night...it is absolutely beautiful!

I'm a frequent volunteer for City Park, and have witnessed the restoration and transformation of the park since October 2005. The Carousel really is a jewel...it still looks the same, only like it had a good cleaning. Riding the "flying horses" on Friday night was one of those moments when the storm seemed just like a bad dream...you could almost forget that it happened.

The entire Carousel Gardens/Amusements area is better than ever...admission is a bargain, all new rides among the oak trees, and for visitors with children, an attraction not to be missed!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!.........LOL.......this is the best example of phoenetic spelling that I've ever seen. Anyone who was raised in or around New Orleans, or who's a frequent visitor outside the tourist areas, will immediately know what you're saying and how to properly pronounce it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

I forgot to comment.....only a Yat could have come up with that.

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

Someone please tell me -- which park is which? Thedre's the park around the NOMA - Museum of Art - if you take the Canal St streetcar and it turns right to the end of that line on (Carrollton?).

Then there's another park just above the edge of the Quarter across Rampart -- You can see it's garish lighted entrance gate looking up Orleans St from Bourbon.

Which one has the carousel? And, is this the same one that has the holiday "Festival of Lights" display?

I'm confused. But then, I claim that's a genetic disorder.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

The park across N. Rampart (bordering the French Quarter) is Louis Armstrong Park. It's borderline safe, but I wouldn't wander through it by yourself.

The New Orleans Museum of Art and the carousel are both in City Park. Here's a map that might help:

http://neworleanscitypark.com/mapofpark.html (Storyland and Carousel Gardens are to the left of the tennis courts.)

-----"Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!..LOL...this is the best example of phoenetic spelling that I've ever seen."

Ha! Glad you got a kick out of it.

-----"I forgot to comment.....only a Yat could have come up with that."

Not necessarily, but it's hard (HAWD!) to transcribe rhythm and attack. The great old N.O. accents are ever-so-gradually dying out. It's sad.

Caseyno, is the little City Park train running? I loved it as a kid, and still love it as an adult.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Streetcawz an' flyin' hawsiz!

Slate...the train was up and running for the start of last year's Celebration in the Oaks. The whistle sounds great...you can hear it throughout the park and all the way in Lakeview!

Visitors who enjoy trains should plan a stop at the Train Garden...it's inside the City Park Botanical Garden and is a model train that winds through various model neighborhoods of New Orleans. The buildings in all of the neighborhoods are made of native bark, plants, etc. and it really is something special!