We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Steak and Lobster

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Star Steak and Lobster

Any opinions about this place? My husband will definitely want steak while we are in New Orleans, and they have a reasonably priced prime rib dinner.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

Recently received poor writeups...changed hands last year and now owned by the also poorly rated Alpine restaurant..Ate there years ago and had decent food then.

south texas
Level Contributor
308 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

When I was there this june, we were walking past it and there were 2 couples coming out. It looked interesting so I asked what they thought and they said it was the best food they had had in NO . I could not go with 4 teens,but thought if hubby and I go by ourselves we will definely try. just thought I would let you know.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

Thanks to both of you for replying. I searched trip advisor reviews and they all look great - so good that it makes me wonder if they are being 'planted'. I can't find any bad reviews, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. They are actually (at least right now) listed as the #2 restaurant in New Orleans....hard to believe that a steak place would rank above Emerils, Bayona, etc so that makes me a little suspicious.

They have a 50% off coupon on Restaurant.com right now so my husband and myself and 3 granddaughters could eat there fairly reasonably. We may give it a try.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

Went recently and we were not impressed. Nothing dreadful, but basically a mediocre to fair dining experience. We were much happier with the steak dinner we had at Crescent City Steakhouse, 1001 N. Broad. It's a short cab ride from the quarter and to be quite honest, the place doesn't have much atmosphere, but the food was delicious. Prices are comparable to SS&L.

If you have the SS&L certificate, I say go ahead and use it. I can't speak for the prime rib, but the filet was much better than the ribeye. The bbq shrimp appetizer was also quite good.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

I was born in N.O in 1950, and until I read all of those great reviews over the past few weeks, I had never heard of the place. It sure sounds slightly suspicious to me, but then, there are SO many great places to eat here, it could have slipped under the radar, but I tend to doubt it. Surely someone I know would have mentioned it after 57 years. If it really is the #2 restaurant in this town, I may have to get checked for Alzheimer's. Let the buyer beware.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

I used to rec. Star Steak and Lobster sometime back but its gone to an 'average' status. The best steak houses would be Dickie Brennan's or Emeril's Delmonico.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
259 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

SS&L was great about 10 years ago but I've not heard anything about it since then! Also, the Alpine is really bad (bad crab)! You can probably find better.

8. Re: Star Steak and Lobster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:21