We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zoo or aquarium

atlanta
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
zoo or aquarium

we are spending new years with our kids, 6 and 8 i nola. if you ABSOLUTELY HAD TO choose between the zoo or aquarium, which one is better. we would like to do unique new orleans activities, but will reserve one day for a typical kids day out. they have been to great aquariums in atlanta and monterey, so i am thinking zoo...but then again i have only heard raves about the aquarium.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zoo or aquarium

Gosh, this is hard to choose. I love both! I'd probably say the zoo if the weather is nice, the aquarium if it isn't! At New Years, it may be 70s and it may be 40s outside. You never know.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zoo or aquarium

JJ has it right...plan around the weather. Also know that the zoo will be a longer outing than the Aquarium, but you can definitely plan activities before and after whichever you choose! You can't go wrong with either place.

Casey

Florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zoo or aquarium

The aquarium would be way less walking, but with either one and you will not go wrong. The zoo could cover 4 to 5 hours with kids that age, the aquarium about 3 hours tops. In the aquarium area, you would be able to add on other things they would enjoy, such as a streetcar ride. Make sure those venues are open if it's New Years Day.

south texas
Level Contributor
308 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zoo or aquarium

WE loved the aquarium, did not get to zoo. But since you have been to the Atlanta one, which I think is probably best there is, I would do zoo. If weather is bad, then aquarium and Imax.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zoo or aquarium

I love both but with small kids at that time of year, I would vote for Aquarium and Children's Museum which is close in the Warehouse District. The Aquarium is fabulous....I always love the penguins and the Gulf of Mexico exhibit with the sharks and rays.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zoo or aquarium

The aquarium's otters (Buck and Emma) are cool, too!

I love the Audubon Zoo on a nice day, though. It's really one of the more pleasant zoos in the U.S., I think!

Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: zoo or aquarium

According to the website, both places are open on New Years Day. Not sure if that is the day you planned since you didn't post your dates, only New Years.

Weather permitting, I like the zoo. It is one of the more kid friendly zoos I've been to across the US.

But the aquarium is great too. As already suggested if the weather calls for more indoor type activities, consider the aquarium and children's museum.

Also there is Mardi Gras World on the West Bank. The kids would enjoy that and the ferry ride across the river (the ferry is free). This would add a couple of unique New Orleans activities into your schedule that are also enjoyable by children.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zoo or aquarium

The Children's Museum is a really good one, and I think that your 6-year-old would probably be OK with a visit, but the 8-year-old might be too old (and bored). Just my opinion as a local and a mom who has taken many kids there, many times.

I do strongly agree with the previous poster's suggestion about a ferry ride and visit to Mardi Gras World...a great time for kids, big and small! Combine that with a trip to the Aquarium, and it would really make for a nice, kid-friendly day!

Casey

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: zoo or aquarium

I'd hit the Aquarium as it opened, then take the steamboat upriver to the zoo. If I had to choose, I'd do the aquarium. Zoos are everywhere, while aquariums few and far between. You could alo hit the childrens museum which is near the aquarium.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: zoo or aquarium

If you have a full day, you should do both! Check the Audubon Institute website. Before Katrina they offered a combination ticket for both sites, as well as a riverboat trip between the two locations. This would solve your problem. You really can't go wrong with either choice.