We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Uptown

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Uptown

Hi, we are from Shreveport and have spent a lot of time in New Orleans, but usually stick to the FQ and Warehouse District. We have started branching out to some restaurants Uptown, but my husband balks at the price of a cab ride from wherever we are staying. Here's my question: If we take the streetcar to Carrollton, is it safe to walk to restaurants in the general vicinity? We can easily walk two or three miles and actually enjoy it. Also, please let me know if there's a difference between daytime/nighttime safety. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Uptown

I have never felt unsafe on Carollton...the streetcar idea should work fine. Is there a particular restaurant you have in mind?

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Uptown

These are the ones I can think of offhand:

Clancy's

Upperline

Dick and Jenny's

Jacques-Imo

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Uptown

Clancy's and Dick & Jenny's are, in my opinion, much too far from the St. Charles streetcar line to walk. Walking to either from Riverbend (Carrollton) would be out of the question for me. Upperline is only a few block off St. Charles and would be an easy walk, but not from Riverbend.

Jacques Imo's is close enough to walk, and so is Brigtsen's. I like both restaurants, but they're very different.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Uptown

It would be an easy walk to Clancy's if you take then streetcar to just before the Tulane/Loyola/Audubon Park stop and then walk down either Webster, Henry Clay, or Calhoun - maybe about a mile distance. There are some beautuiful houses and scenery along all three of those streets. We walked all through this portion of Uptown over the past weekend and never felt unsafe. If you are unsure, you could call a cab from the Tulane/Loyola stop- that distance should be a pretty cheap fare.

For Dick&Jenny's, it would be more of a haul down Napoleon from the streetcar. On the other hand, you could take the Magazine bus up from Canal, which will put you within about 4 blocks of the restaurant.

We were at both Jacques-ismo's and Upperline this past wekeend and had some amazing meals. Both are an easy and safe walk from the Streetcar.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12424-Our_New_…

New Orleans
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Uptown

Near the street car line Uptown, I would recommend Gautreau's on Soniat St. (approx. 2 blocks), Upperline (on Upperline, approx. 2 blocks), Crepe Nanou (on Robert just across from Upperline).

In the Riverbend, Vincents is directly on St. Charles, and Brigstens is about 2.5 blocks away on Dante St.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety Uptown

wallace63, thanks for the great ideas. We'll give them a try.

jweverly, we have eaten at Brigtsen's and Vincent's many times; they are so near I did not think to include them. You did name two of my three favorite New Orleans restaurants (Galatoire's is the third).

Thanks for the replies; I appreciate you very much.

7. Re: Safety Uptown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 13:16