We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

NJ
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

I know that Cafe Du Monde is a tourist draw in New Orleans, but I was wondering if anyone here was not very impressed by this place. The beignets are nothing more than oversized zepole (sp?) and the coffee was not that great. While it is NO's famous coffee/beignet place, all-in-all, I wouldn't pay it any mind if it were here in Jersey, and I wouldn't wait in a long line to get a beignet. Anyone else?

Fargo, ND
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

I agree. My husband and I weren't impressed and we didn't even have coffee and beignets because we couldn't get past the fact that it was unclean. I understand that due to the masses of people that go there, it is difficult to keep it neat, but it was so much so that it was unappetizing to us...can't beat the location though!

We had our beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Beignet...yum!

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

We just got back Sunday June 5 from Nola, I tend to dissagree....

Cafe Du Monde was great...... the coffee and beignets were great!

You can always find things wrong with any place, as well as finding the good in them, the cafe is like an institution there, yeah it was dirty,etc,etc.but the service was fast, inexpensive and they open 24 hours!

Each tourist city has it "famous" spot and you have to take it for what is worth!

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

I totally disagree too! It was a great place to people watch. And I loved the Beignet's! I couldn't wait to go there everyday on my trip for my coffee and Beignets!

Line's moved quickly there. People are only sitting down to have a quick snack, so if you wait a minute or two a table opens up.

Everyone having a different opinion is what makes the world go round, but everyone should go and decide what their opinion is before not going at all!

Frisco (Dallas), TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

I don't care for it either..but everyone must go at least once.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

DarleneT,

I must wholeheartedly AGREE. I think the real draw is the fact that you can park your butt there 24/7 a people watch. The coffee in many NOLA restaurants is my one major gripe, that half coffee, half milk concoction doesn't do it for me. Give me a cup of coffee with extra half and half. I have much better beignets at Walt Disney World's Port Orleans, French Quarter resort in the Sassagoula food court, they're grrrrrreat!

USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

It would be hard to award the Good Housekeeping Seal, but EGADS those hot beignets melt in your mouth about 2 in the morning after partying on Bourbon. Actually, they always melt in my mouth. It's tradition!

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

It is hard to keep clean with all that powder sugar flying everywhere!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

I think this is one of those places that gets overyly hyped. I was a little dissapointed, but as another person pointed out, it was great for people watching and the beignets were quite tasty late at night. Here in the Ozarks, we use funnels to pour the batter in the fryer, and then Beignets are suddenly called Funnel Cakes.

Texas
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

I have to disagree..I love this place! At 1:00 AM this past Saturday we parked our butts there for a good hour watching all the drunks!! It was great!! I have to make it by there everytime I am in the big easy.. Granted my boyfriend wasn't impressed with it, but he isn't the biggest fan of coffee and sweets anyways...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not impressed - Cafe Du Monde - question to group

Why do we need to be "impressed" with places when we travel? I hear this about restaurants, bars, etc in all cities. Just enjoy it for what it is!