We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage rides

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Carriage rides

I am definitely planning on taking a carriage ride while in New Orleans. Besides the regular tours that pick you up in Jackson Square and bring you back, can you take one from the square to say, Arnauds, for dinner? Kind of like a one way ride, instead of a taxi. It sounds like it would be fun. Do they go in that direction?

Thanks, Barb

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carriage rides

They generally will bring you anywhere but you will pay up for the ride and best to arrange ahead of time.

Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Carriage rides

More than once I've taken a carriage ride and had them drop me off at a certain place. Just talk to the drivers in line at Jackson Square, let them know you want the 30 min./hr whatever tour, but want it to end at Arnauds rather than back at Jackson Squaure. You may lose about 5 minutes tour time (to allow them to return alone), but they've never charged me extra. I do however tip them well for the courtesy.

Westbury NY
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carriage rides

What do they charge for Carriage rides?

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carriage rides

Thanks cajunyank and zmyst! I've read that it is $60 for a 1/2 hour ride.

barb

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carriage rides

barb111....depends upon how many people you have going to the restaurant and you might hook up with a carriage and cost you $12 a person since the $60 figure is for one person or 5 people.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carriage rides

Cajunyank, thanks for the suggestion. Just so I am understanding you correct, it might only cost us (people) 24 dollars for the trip if we speak to the driver?

Barb

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carriage rides

Its if you share the carriage with others but it has to be understood before he leaves that you are a dropoff at the restaurant. They usually work with people as money is money. Once in San Diego we took a carriage and arranged for the driver to cut the tour short for us by a couple minutes to drop off at a real nice restaurant. We arrived looking so impressive with the tuxedo dressed driver and elegant horse and beautiful carriage pulling right up in front of the entrance. Then the horse let loose and the driver had cleanup duty in front of the front door..we went in very quietly.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carriage rides

cajunyank,

That's too funny! Sounds like something that would happen to me.

I love the OP's idea. It would be even more special, if they would pick you up at your hotel, as well as drop you off at a restaurant. I'll have to look into this, when our trip nears.

9. Re: Carriage rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 18:18