We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need advice

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new
Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I need advice

We are flying into New Orleans the last week in March. The next morning we are driving to Destin Florida. (We get to visit New Orleans on our way back.) Coukld you please tell me what areas to stay away from. The night we get in we will be overnighting in New Orleans and I am planning on booking through priceline. I see that there are several areas to choose from. I know that the airport hotels are the obvious choice but I'm wondering what to do if that plan doesn't pan out. Thanks

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need advice

If you have any time at all, i.e. dinner and a walk about I would stay in the FQ. Budget and others have locations near the FQ, we rented a car from Budget. Even if your only in the FQ one night you can dine at a good restaurant, experiance good music and walk about Jackson Square. Unless your flying in at 11 pm and up and driving out at 8 am why would you stay at the airport?

new
Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need advice

Thanks for the advice. Two out of three couples do get in late afternoon/early evening but the third couple do get in late at night. We have made some time on the end of our trip to experience New Orleans and from what I have been reading on the posts it must be quite someting because everyone seems to love it. Can you tell me how it is from the airport to the French Quarter?? Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need advice

If you're driving to Destin, then you'll be taking I-10 East. The airport (Kenner area) hotels are in the opposite direction on I-10 from your route.

Therefore, once you land it would be easier to find a hotel in the French Quarter or downtown, which are all adjacent to the I-10 east onramps. This would save you about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic than if you stayed in an airport hotel. Plus, you get the benefits of New Orleans ambience.

To save time, I would avoid the Metairie and Kenner hotels. The French Quarter is between 30-45 minutes from the airport.

new
Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need advice

I'm curious about why you mentioned that there was a Budget rental in the French Quarter, wouldn't we just rent a car from the airport location??

new
Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need advice

Hi Worltraveller

Thanks that is exactly the information that I wanted. I think the next day we will be very happy to shave a little time off of the drive to Destin and because I'm geographically challenged I was actually thinking the opposite in terms of directions.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I need advice

>>>>>>>>>>I'm curious about why you mentioned that there was a Budget rental in the French Quarter, wouldn't we just rent a car from the airport location??<<<<<<<<<<

Parking in New Orleans is expensive. I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't consider Metairie & Kenner in New Orleans. If you plan to stay in the city on you're arrival night, renting a car the next morning will save you the parking fee. I would think transportation from the airport would be cheaper than renting the car an extra day & paying to park overnight in NOLA.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need advice

Totally agree on the parking/why you'd rent a car in the FQ vs. airport.

You'll pay anywhere from $25-$35/night at the hotel, and even just parking during the day, you're looking at $25+.

I'd stay in the FQ, if I had the choice. I've stayed at the NOLA Airport Hilton. It was nice/safe, etc. I'd stay there again, but if you're going to have time to see/do some stuff, definitely stay in the FQ.

IMO, before you book on priceline, I suggest that you see what the rates are for your dates and/or call hotels and ask for deals. I have used priceline in other cities, but I'd rather pick out where (specifically) I'm staying than take my chances in NOLA. For example, there can be a difference between hotels that say "Hotel Blah Blah - FQ" and Hotels that are actually IN the FQ.

new
Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need advice

I'm so glad that I asked, you guys are awesome. Thanks

9. Re: I need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 04:17