We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon restaurant

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon restaurant

We are doing a quick belated honeymoon trip to New Orleans in a few months. I would like to have at least one dinner while there at one of the best upscale restaurants (no price max). It doesn't necessarily need to be romantic, but just a nice fine dining experience (no loud music, no rowdy younger folk cramming a bar, etc). Any type of food.

We'll be at the Ritz, and I want something walkable (we're young, we can walk relatively far if need be). I do not want to mess with having to drive or take a confusing route of streetcars somewhere. If we could hop on ONE streetcar there and back, that would be okay.

I've read through the forum many times and have seen so many suggestions. Just looking for what you would pick as the best place to have a honeymoon dinner in/near the Quarter.

Thanks in advance!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Hmmm... what sort of food would you want?

There are several restaurants that I think would be nice.

My favorite is Commander's Palace, but you're saying that you're not interesting in riding up there.... (so no cabs, etc)

hmmm possibly Muriel's in jackson Square, Restaurant August has a nice ambience.... (right off poydras)

also... you could do something like Bella Luna...

Emeril's is a quick walk up Tchoupitoulas from the Ritz Carlton....

Also, you could do Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse (delicious food!)

Bacco is a nice italian restaurant...

Personally, though, if you wanted a nice view and a nice atmoshere, and an authentic experience, I'd go with Commander's Palace. :)

just a few ideas for you....

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Honestly, any type of food. I personally am not very fond of cajun food (sorry, I know, but my stomach can't handle it) however I can always find something on a menu to satisfy me. Which is why Commander's Palace isn't that high on my list, although I am sure it's great local food.

Steaks, italian, sushi are great with us. But really...we eat anything and everything :) I will look your suggestions up, thank you!!

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Emerils Nola or Bayonna are both really , really , nice restaurants, and excellent food.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

What is the difference between the 3 Emeril restaurants? Any one more fancy/upscale than the others?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Then you would probably prefer something like Restaurant August. The food there is not actually "cajun" and is rather more along the lines of French.... everything on John Besh's menu is organic, free range, etc.

I've been there on several occasions... the Kobe Beef with asparagus is really yummy, and he makes a fantastic chocolate torte as well. That menu is always unique and very fresh.

www.restaurantaugust.com

John Besh was on Iron Chef America.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Emeril's NOLA- more casual, in the quarter. The food is pretty decent.

Emeril's (which is in the warehouse district) is a little more upscale- has a HUGE wine list, etc.

Delmonico is the top of the top as far as I'm concerned. Food is very good, ambience is nice, etc.

But be forewarned that much of the food at his restaurants are Cajun-Creole influenced.

What about Cajun/Creole food do you not like? Maybe we can steer you in the way of liking the food once we find out what you actually don't like about it and steer you to a good restaurant.

And if you want sushi- well.... that's a whole other post in itself. LOL

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Let me retract that - I shouldn't generalize to all cajun food. It's the spicy, hot food that I unfortunately can't tolerate.

Thanks for the clarification on the Emeril restaurants, that is very helpful.

And a side-note...what is it about the sushi? I would figure there are many good sushi places, being on the gulf..but maybe not?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

John Besh's place, Restaurant August. I've been to most of the fine dining establishments. All are wonderful, but August is easily the top.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Meaning there are TONS of sushi places to choose from here. Some of the best are actually out in the burbs. LOL

and ... yeah, so it's not necessarily cajun food. GOOD!

Not everything is spicy.

Commander's is actually NOT spicy- their menu is very "creole" and not "cajun" per se. however, their food is very rich. Sunday morning jazz brunch is a MUST DO, IMO. You can easily eat there and have NO SPICY issues. :)

Get the Pain Perdu, Eggs Jeannette and Strawberry Shortcake or bread pudding souffle.

I need to go to commander's soon.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon restaurant

Bayona is a perfect choice for a honeymoon dinner. The food is excellent (the chef/owner is Susan Spicer) & the ambience is intimate. There is also a lovely patio for outdoor dining. Bayona is located in a Creole cottage at 430 Dauphine St., a short 3-4 block walk from the Ritz. Here's the link to their website: www.bayona.com/flash_content/bayona.htm. Enjoy!... we always do!