We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

illinois
Level Contributor
394 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

We will be arriving on the Feb 3rd in the AM. I have a res at Mr. B's for brunch. We have been there before for dinner. Should I switch to Commander's Palace for brunch? We have not experienced it before.

Comments please!

C

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

Definitely switch to Commanders Brunch if you can.

Since the reopening, Mr. B's has been very inconsistent. When it's good, it's great, but when it's bad it's inedible (not to mention the very spotty service). I know they took so long to re-open that they lost quite a few of their long time employees, so I'm sure given a little more time they will be back to their usual yummy self.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

If you can get a reservation, Commanders Palace is far better

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

Call for the reservation NOW.

The only problem you may have is actually GETTING there, since there will be parades either staging or rolling all day on St. Charles, so the streetcar is out. You'll definately need to take a taxi and even that may be difficult.....

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

i actually preferred mr. b's over commanders palace. service was a little better, friendlier, and the food is exceptional at both. mr. b's reminded me of avis, as they seemed to try harder. but either way you can't go wrong.

illinois
Level Contributor
394 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

Thanks for all the comments! Now I am worried about how to get a cab to take us to the Ritz! (Never stayed there - but it was the same price as the Hampton Inn so I couldn't resist...probably will never be that price again!)

Any ideas if we have trouble getting to the hotel?

Thanks!

C

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

Again, with the parades rolling all day, you may have a little trouble....

I have often seen cabs drop off people as close to the hotel as they can get, which may be a block or two, then you'll have to schlep the rest of the way through the crowds with your bags. Safe, but annoying and inconvienent.

It just depends how early in the am you arrive. The earlier the better!

Good luck!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

At that time of year you should be prepared to encounter waits and crowds wherever you go. That said, I have never had a problem getting from the Airport to downtown hotels during MG. The van service or cabs seem ample and waiting, though the lines could be longer than mormal. Another possibility for getting to Commanders' is the Magazine Street bus. If you treat inconvenience and slow travel as an "experience" in New Orleans you will have a better time. The Magazine bus is an experience - a variety of passengers plus great views of one of the country's most interesting streets. It's just a very short walk from Magazine to Commanders'. And be sure and get there early and try to grab seats at the kitchen bar to watch the action and look for future iron chefs and TV stars.

philidelphia
Level Contributor
111 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

I am more of a Mr. Bs fan myself but you wont go wrong with either. Both are wonderful. Commanders Palace is definitely worth the experience if you have already tried Mr. Bs though.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

Mr. B's by far. Having been to both recently I find it hard to believe that anyone would recommend Commander's over Mr. B's.

Plus, Mr. B's is in a MUCH MUCH nore interesting and attractive part of town. I hate to dump on Commander's given how much I have loved it over the years but there is simply no comparison IMHO.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mr B's or Commanders Palace Brunch?

Hello Siesta,

I doubt that you would have a bad meal or experience with either choice, and both likely have there fans.

I've been to both, but over the years, I've made it a point to include Commanders Palace every single trip (15+ trips).

I would also reccomend the Magazine Street bus. It will only be a 3 or 4 block walk up Washington Street to the restaurant.

Lastly, and just my opinion, the neighborhood around Commanders Palace is amazing. So many old and great homes. Take a few minutes before or after brunch just to walk around the area and see the grand garden district homes.