We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Are The Best Days To Visit?

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Topic
When Are The Best Days To Visit?

From what I've read, some shops & restaurants are only open 5 or 6 days a week. We'll be visiting in July, which appears to be slow season. Will that mean even more places are closed? If we stay 4 or 5 nights, what would be the best day to arrive to limit closures during our stay? Thanks in advance for your input. As always, it's very much appreciated.

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
716 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
947 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
128 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
449 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

Most everything is open on the weekends, so make sure to be in town at least Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to maximize your time here; ideally, you could arrive on Wednesday. The vast majority of restaurants will be open almost everyday and definitely on the weekends. Some restaurant/attractions close on Mondays. For example, the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium of the Americas are closed on Mondays.

July won't be terribly slow either, especially for families, since it's summer break. The big deterrent is the heat, but just carry a cold drink in hand, and you'll be fine. The time of year doesn't really effect openings and closings, but rather what foods will be in season.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

July is typically slow, but know that the Essence Music Festival will bring large crowds to the area over the July 4th weekend.

Also important to know is that many restaurants will shut down for an entire week during July. It is a traditional "vacation" for the entire staff. So if you have your heart set on a particular establishment, you might want to call ahead to be sure they'll be open. I have friends who adore D**k & Jenny's restaurant, and were very upset when they closed last July during a visit.

If you have 4 or 5 nights, best to arrive on a Tuesday or Wednesday to be sure attractions and shops are open.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

Oops, my bad. Nice call Caseyno, I totally forgot about the July restaurant closings. I know Jacques-Imos will be closed a week during the summer (the timeframe hasn't been set yet).

BUT other tourist-friendly places like Commander's Palace and Mr. B's Bistro will be open straight through the summer, so no worries.

Again, I'd say come Wednesday and enjoy the city through the weekend.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

Thanks for the input. We'll definitely plan to arrive on Tues. or Wed. We're leaning toward visiting the last week in July.

One of the major draws for that time of year is the potential to take advantage of COOLinary New Orleans in some of the nicer restaurants. It would be a bummer, if one we really wanted to visit was closed for the week. Do you know if the nicer dinner restaurants usually close for vacations? Breakfast & lunch won't be a problem. We're not picky about those meals. We do like having nice dinners though.

Thanks again. You guys are great about helping out with NOLA questions.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

It's typically the smaller operations that close down. Fewer employees, and often the owner is also the chef, and it's the best shot at a week-long vacation without worrying about leaving the place.

If you really have your heart set upon a particular establishment, better to call in advance. But also remember that there will be more than enough fine dining and casual places to keep you full during your stay!

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

I'm glad to see most places will be open. The fact that NOLA has so many great restaurants is a definite plus. I noticed the offerings for COOLinary NO are very limited. It's good to know we'll have many restaurants to choose from, & can hopefully find some with a special menu we all like. Even if they don't, I'm sure we won't go hungry. ;-)

7. Re: When Are The Best Days To Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 12:19