We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

I ran into some problems when I tried to book at Maison Perrier for my wedding on July 6th. they didn't have enough rooms to accommodations all of my guests so now I have to start all over again to try to find a hotel

The wedding/reception is taking place at Rosy's Jazz Hall. So this weekend I didn't some research and came up with these two hotel ( Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans & 1896 O'Malley House)

The OM seems to have better reviews from travelers and RS seems to have the ideal location for travelers.

Has anyone been to both locations/ Or even one of the locations? Which would seem to be the better pick?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

The O'Malley House is very nice but only has 8 rooms. How many do you need?

Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

I will need about 7 rooms. So if we decide to go with OM we will probably book the location completely

I want people to have fun because a lot of my guests have never been to NO...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

These are two very different types of properties. The 1896 O'Malley House is a B&B (our favorite in New Orleans) and the Royal Sonesta is one of the nicest full-service hotels in the city. The O'Malley House is in Mid-City (about a 15 minute streetcar ride from downtown on the Canal St. line) and the Royal Sonesta is in the midle of the French Quarter, fronting on Bourbon St.

I've stayed at both properties. If I were looking for a B&B, I'd stay at the O'Malley House. If I wanted a hotel, I'd stay at the Royal Sonesta.

I suppose it really comes down to whether you prefer a hotel or a B&B. The Royal Sonesta will have more amenities (pool, restaurant, etc.) and the O'Malley House will be more intimate and will provide more personalized service.

Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

This is really a hard decision, I want everyone to be happy & have a great time. Both locations are really nice, but I don't know which one to choose

I know everyone wants to enjoy Bourbon St, but are they going to want to actually stay on Bourbon St? And is the O'Malley house too far after partying all night? This is really hard decision for me to make by myself

Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

I stayed in the Royal Sonesta this past Aug/Sept and absolutely loved it. As I wanted a swim on a daily basis, it was great for us.If you are going in a hot time of year, it's nice to be able to come back from sightseeing and have a nice swim in the pool. I never heard any noise from my room...we had one that over looked the courtyard.

My fiance proposed at Commanders Palace, and we had a wonderful time. I loved being able to walk out the door onto Bourbon Street in the morning, across to the Cafe Beignet and Jazz Legends Park and have coffee and breakfast.

It it was me, and it was my first time in NO, I would opt for staying in the Quarter, I think. I truly loved the hotel, and found it a wonderful and comfortable place to stay.

Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

Fyre

Do you remember what RS payment policy?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

The Essence Festival is July 4,5 and 6 and the Royal Sonesta usually draws a large crowd during that time. Royal Sonesta rates will be steep until July 7, when they will drop by approximately $100 per night. Regardless of which property you choose, I recommend that you make your decision soon.

Also, if you choose a French Quarter hotel and if you have a car, remember to factor parking, which can range between $20 and $30 per day, into your rates.

Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

Yeah, every where prices are up a little. But of course that's more of the reason for me to want to stay on Bourbon St (its going to be so much fun that weekend). I don't made paying the extra cash in order to have a great time its my wedding weekend but I really don't want my guests to spend that much, they are flying down to see us. So my question is would it be unfair for our guests to stay at OM ? I mean give them the option to stay at RS but let them know that theres another hotel that's cheaper for if they don't want to spend that amount?

I really like OMH but this is my firat time coming to NO and I want to party and have a great time. the OMH will definitely be our next stop for our anniversary next year '09'

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yeah, every where prices are up a little. But of course that's more of the reason for me to want to stay on Bourbon St (its going to be so much fun that weekend). I don't made paying the extra cash in order to have a great time its my wedding weekend but I really don't want my guests to spend that much, they are flying down to see us. So my question is would it be unfair for our guests to stay at OM ? I mean give them the option to stay at RS but let them know that theres another hotel that's cheaper for if they don't want to spend that amount?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think this is your best option. If they're paying, give them the choice.

I'm definitely not an expert on NOLA, but I can share my experiences with you. I had been twice for day visits, then finally was able to visit for 3 nights pre-Katrina. We stayed in a great hotel, La Pavillon. We were more than please with the accommodations. Actually, it would be perfect, if only it could be moved to the FQ. Every day, when we walked to the Qtr., we wished we were staying there. We're considering staying at Loews for our summer visit, but we're having a hard time getting past the idea that we may once again regret not staying in the FQ.

As for the B&B, I haven't stayed there, but I do have B&B experience in general. We love them in certain situations. The thing we don't like about them is the inaccessibility of staff later in the evening. For example, you can usually forget getting a bottle of champagne, or anything else you may need/want, at the spur of the moment.

For a romantic getaway, B&Bs are perfect, as long as you go well prepared with everything you may want, when there's noone around. With a bigger group that's celebrating a special event & planning to party, it wouldn't be my 1st choice. That is, unless everyone in your group is older adults (parents, grandparents, etc.) It would be perfect for a group like that. Most B&Bs do offer much better service than you would find at any hotel.

Disclaimer: The lack of staffing in the later evening may not be an issue the OMH. I'm sure there's someone with knowledge on the property who could let you know.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans vs. 1896 O'Malley House

My recommendation for your making reservations early also applies to the O'Malley House. They only have 8 rooms and they also usually fill up during the Essence Festival.

Regarding the presence of available staff at a B&B in the evening hours to cater to impromptu requests; I've never expected that level of service from a B&B, nor have I ever stayed at a B&B property that provided it. If I'm seeking that level of service, I'll stay at a full service hotel. Most B&B's will cater to requests for specific items (flowers, champagne, chocolates, etc.) if the requests are made in advance.

The O'Malley House does make available soft drinks, beer, wine, and snacks for their guests at no charge in their "guest pantry."