We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans on film

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
510 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans on film

One of my favorite things to do in anticipation of visiting a specific place is to watch as many movies I can that are filmed on location.

I can watch alot of movies between now and October....so board, care to start a list?

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans on film

Here are a few...

Runaway Jury

Double Jeopardy

The Big Easy

Candyman 2

When the Levees Broke

All the King's Men

Easy Rider

The Pelican Brief

Also, if you have a Tivo, set up a Wishlist search for New Orleans.... depending on what channels you have you'll end up with all kinds of random stuff!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans on film

If you watch any of these movies, be prepared for the horrible imitations of New Orleans and Cajun accents. Those movie-generated accents are so bad, they distract me from what would otherwise be good movies. I wish the directors would just make the movies without attempting to imitate accents that are difficult, if not impossible for them to accurately portray.

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans on film

Don't forget Interview with the Vampire.

And what was that TV series last year, before the writer's strike?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans on film

And a few more:

Deja Vu (Denzel Washington/Val Kilmer)

Down By Law (Tom Waits/John Lurie/Ellen Barkin)

A Love Song For Bobby Long (Scarlett Johansson/John Travolta)

New Orleans
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans on film

Two more:

Angel Heart (if you like VooDoo) and

Pretty Baby - which was filmed at the Columns Hotel on St. Charles. You can see location pics in the bar.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans on film

and yes, like someone mentioned, usually the horrible fake accents detract from the actual movie.

Scenes from JFK were filmed in New Orleans... also, Heaven's Prisoners, K Ville was a tv show set here in New Orleans.

Almost all of these movies do not present an accurate portrayal of locations, etc. but if you want to get an idea of what it looks like, etc. the ones listed are good.

nyc
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans on film

Panic in the streets Jack palance 1950. A great film noir thiller shot in New Orleans

nyc
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans on film

Sorry about the lack of puncuation. I will try that again. Panic in the streets. Starring Jack Palance.

Filmed in 1950. A great film noir. Yes, that's better.

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans on film

Just remembered --

Were Cat on a Hot tin Roof, and Streetcar Named Desire actually filmed in NOLA? I seem to remember most of both were indoor scenes, done in a studio. And one of them had two versions, years apart.

Burl Ives, Liz Taylor, Paul Newman, .... I can't remember which was what. Another couple to search the net for dvd's for my collection of keepers, which is mostly still just in my head.

I'm saving the titles in this thread. I think it would be neat to have a whole shelf of just NOLA based movies.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Orleans on film

King Creole (Elvis), Zandalee (Nicolas Cage movie) and Storyville (James Spade).