We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative Airports

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative Airports

So....I played the waiting game for an April 4/April 6th trip from NE Ohio to New Orleans and lost...tickets are outrageous!!!

Are there any alternative airports in the New Orleans area I ought to consider?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative Airports

Try sky bus from Columbus to Gulf Port but then you gotta rent a car when you get here.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative Airports

What about Baton Rouge?

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative Airports

Baton Rouge MIGHT be a possibility...but price your rental car in addition to your flight.

Just curious...what's your airfare budget?

Flying in on a Friday and leaving on Sunday could be pushing the price up...would your consider a late Thursday arrival or early Monday departure?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative Airports

The other posters are right. Baton Rouge (BTR) and Gulfport/Biloxi (GPT) are the only good alternatives. Each is about 90 minutes from New Orleans and you will need a rental car, which pushes up your pricing somewhat.

Skybus is showing Columbus-Gulfport/Biloxi tickets at $201 per person.

The best fare I could find from CLE to MSY is $309 on Northwest. That's not terrible.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative Airports

I would wait a tad longer...you have until March 3rd to get in under the '30 day' window.

Keep looking, I saved $150 per ticket from LAX by waiting ONE day.

Good luck!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative Airports

I agree, $309 really isn't a bad price at all in today's airfare market! I would grab that if you can. And the OP are right, if you go any further away than Gulfport or Baton Rouge, you would be wasting too much time, as Birmingham and Houston are a bit of a drive, it would eat up too much of your time. Good luck!! Post a trip report when you return! :)

7. Re: Alternative Airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 18:20