We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf

Minnesota
6 posts
Save Topic
Golf

Any suggestions about golf during mid March. We will be staying at the Le Pavillon. The Audobon Course seems to be reachable by the St. Charles Streetcar. Are there any other easily reached courses. I am certainly willing to rent a car for the day as well. I am thinking about renting clubs, rather than toting mine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf

Audubon has a decent course, and if you're a recreational golfer or just looking to play a round in between more touristy attractions, then you'll be fine. As you've mentioned, it's quite accessible from the streetcar line.

However, if you're an avid golfer and are looking for great courses and facilities, then you'll have to rent a car and head over to the Westbank (15 min from French Quarter across the river). Two of the best golf courses in the state are located there: TPC and English Turn (designed by Jack Nicklaus). I'm very biased toward English Turn, but either will provide you with a wonderful experience.

Minnesota
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf

Would a taxi be a reasonable alternative to a rental car for either the TPC or English Turn?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf

You could definitely take a taxi, though it would probably cost around $15-20 one way.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf

Aren't English Turn and TPC course private courses?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf

TPC is considered a public course and offer tee times to all. English Turn is a private course, but they offer tee times to the public.

To make reservations at English Turn: http://www.englishturn.com/golf.php3

To make reservations at TPC:

http://www.tpc.com/louisiana/

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf

Audubon is accesesible via streetcar, but you should know that the entrance/clubhouse are on Magazine Street, or the opposite side, of the course from St. Charles. You can walk through the park to easily access the entrance.

TPC is open to the public, but is (IMHO) a little pricey...

http://www.tpc.com/louisiana/rates/index.html

English Turn is private.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf

skip audobon park...not really worth your time if you have played better more challenging courses before.

Minnesota
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf

Any opinion on the Carter Plantation Course? Is it worth renting a car to check it and the surrounding area out? Trip is coming up next week and I appreciate all the information provided on this forum. I can't wait to experience NOLA for the first time.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf

I'll ask my golfing husband about Carter. He's played it several times. I don't know if it's worth the time in the car, especially since it's your first trip to NOLA and there's so much to experience in the City.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
149 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf

I've stayed at Carter Plantation several times. I can't speak for the golf (not a golfer) but the restaurant is fantastic and the rooms are great.

I wouldn't say that there is a lot to see in the area. It's a little less than an hour away from Baton Rouge and about 1.15 from New Orleans.