We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stepping out with my daughter

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
stepping out with my daughter

I will be visiting NOLA with my daughter as part of our college touring and would love to take her to Rock n Bowl. I was much to old to worry about the "legal age" for entry when I last visited but now need to know whether they will let a 16 year old in if accompanied by a parent. Any information in this regard would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have other suggestions on interesting places to eat. We were last in the city in Feb. 2005 and she enjoyed mothers, clover grill and the bluebird cafe more than the fine dining restaurants we visited.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stepping out with my daughter

Everyone is welcome at Rock 'n' Bowl. While most of the crowd is in their 20s and 30s, you'll also see teenagers, grandparents, and families with kids. Great place!

To bowl, you'll have to wait for a lane, which means adding your name to a waiting list when you arrive. Plan on arriving earlier rather than later, or the waiting list will be as long as your arm. (If you haven't already, read the T.A. reviews.)

You can just go for the music, but the bowling is a blast. I say that, having bowled only once in my life -- last year at R'n'B!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: stepping out with my daughter

A prospective NO college student should know (among others):

Frankie and Johnny's

Camellia Grill

Dunbar's

Jacques-Imos

Domilise's

Louisiana Pizza Kitchen

Location/Information on these and more can be found at

www.nomenu.com

Franklin...
Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stepping out with my daughter

i thought only billy joel used the phrase stepping out

:)

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stepping out with my daughter

My 17 year old daughter loves Cafe Degas, a French bistro, on Esplanade near the New Orleans Museum of Art and Dic* and Jenny's on Tchoupitoulas, a funky wonderful restaurant in an old house. Both are local favorites.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stepping out with my daughter

To add to the list of good eats, especially among the college/grad school crowd:

1) Another vote for Jacques-Imo's - MUST TRY

2) Dante's Kitchen at the Riverbend (great brunch!)

3) Ignatius Eatery on Magazine off Napoleon (New Orleans style food)

4) La Crepe Nanou - adorable little restaurant off Prytania, serving really good crepes! and French food

5) Creole Creamery - right near La Crepe Nanou on Prytania, amazing ice cream parlor! try the Tchoupitoulas challenge...on second though, don't, but they have lots of unique flavors and it's right next to...

6) Kyoto - if you are a college student (or any type of student) in New Orleans and have a fondness for sushi, you will eat here many times guaranteed

7) Stop for coffee at Rue, CC's, or PJs on Magazine or elsewhere in the city and say Hello - I'm sure you'll be spending lots of time here (we all do!)

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stepping out with my daughter

tahnk you for all the suggestions-while I am not quite as old as Billy Joel-I guess using the same phrase as he does shows just how cool I am not

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stepping out with my daughter

There are no age restrictions at Rock & Bowl - we took our 8 year old granddaughter there in December.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stepping out with my daughter

I don't know how these Tulane guys failed to mention Fat Harry's and Cooter Browns. Great bars to hang out with the college kids.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stepping out with my daughter

It's probably because her daughter is 16, and a little young to be exposed to the bar culture. But sure enough, she'll get plenty of that in college.

Though, Cooter Brown's has good burgers and bar food, if you're interested in a quick bite. I also like Storyville and The Bulldog (both of Magazine St) for bars/taverns that also have good food.

10. Re: stepping out with my daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 05:23