We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I got a great hotel deal on priceline

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I got a great hotel deal on priceline

I just wanted to share this info with everyone. I've been going to New Orleans for the past 10 years & it seems like the hotels are getting more & more expensive. We paid $250 to stay at the W for New Year's Eve. I knwo it was more because of the holiday but even split 4 ways, that's expensive. I've never used priceline for hotels because I always wanted to stay at a certain one. Also, it makes me nervous that if your bid is accepted, your card is immediately charged, so there's no changing your mind.

But, this time in New Orleans I didn't care where we stayed. I used priceline last week for the first time & I got a great deal. I bid $65 (+ tax was $83) for a 4 star hotel in downtown area or French Quarter in New Orleans. The bid was approved & we stayed at the Hilton Riverside. It was a $199 + tax room. I really couldn't believe it. Even though you don't know which hotel you'll get, it's worth a shot if it's such a good price. Also, I liked the hotel. We had a great view of the city & the river.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton New Orleans Riverside
Hilton New Orleans...
6,082 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hartford...
Level Contributor
516 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I got a great hotel deal on priceline

I, too have been pleased with Priceline--many times. My son is currently living in the Raleigh/Durham area where there are lots and lots of hotels--pretty much any hotel is within a short driving distance from him. I've used Priceline and got easily 50% off of the usual price and have been very happy with the hotels.

I would have used it for our upcoming trip to NO in October, but because it is our first visit, I wanted to make sure of where I stayed. On future visits, I would give Priceline a try.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I got a great hotel deal on priceline

I think as long as you "don't care where you stay" then Priceline can be very good. I use it in some cities, while in others I'm more particular about where I stay.

With Priceline, you usually get the worst rooms in the hotel and sometimes you even get a little attitude from the front desk. No worries, though, since you saved a bundle!

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I got a great hotel deal on priceline

CW has a few good points. I've used priceline regularly for New Orleans stays. I've only had one bad experience (it wasn;t that bad). During the off season and on slow weeks I've got great rooms in and near the Quarter for as low as $40 a night. I got the Riverside for $55, the Omni Orleans for $65, the JW Marroitt for $60. It can be fun but you have to be willing to gamble a little. And yes, sometimes a little attitude comes with booking thru priceline or may be not one of their better rooms but if it's saving me $200 I think I can endure it.

MA Woods
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I got a great hotel deal on priceline

I hate Priceline because you not only do you not know the hotel name, you can't see the property's amenities. As I have a 9 year old "fish" of a son, it is very important that we have a pool. I prefer Hotwire, they give you the star rating of the property, the neighborhood, the price and the amenities. The only thing that you don't know is the name of the hotel.

I met my sister once in Philadelphia. I used Hotwire and got a Hyatt with an indoor pool in the historic district. My sister didn't listen to me and used Priceline. For approximately the same price she was placed in a hotel that had no pool, was under massive renovations and had a terrible location.

Go figure? My sister still uses priceline.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
5. Re: I got a great hotel deal on priceline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 03:18