We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping/ Magazine

Chicagoland, IL
12 posts
Save Topic
Shopping/ Magazine

I keep reading about all of the unique and wonderful shops on Magazine.....any that shouldn't be missed? I'm particularly interested in "one stop" shopping for our 7 teenagers (2 marriages!).....souveniers from NO, not the usual Bourbon Street fare.

Also, we were down there just before Katrina and went to the best knock off (purses) shop....I think it was very close to Jackson Square. Any idea what it might have been and if so, is it still there?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Bourbon Street
Bourbon Street
5,726 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,911 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

I'm not sure about the purse shop, but for one of a kind souveniers that you can feel good about too, pop into the JAX brewery building off Jackson Square and into the "Save Nola" nonprofit store. The shirts are SO cute, they have all colors, shapes and sizes, long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, polo shirts, book bags, baseball hats, koozies, coffee mugs, etc. They should also have some of the Brad Pitt foundation "Make it Right" items. It's a great organization and you will be making a contribution and getting cool, unique souvenirs at the same time!

Will you have a car on Magazine street? It is pretty long to walk and see everything. I would definitely recommend a stop at Scriptura, a stationery store with beautiful, many New-Orleans themed items. There are some cute stores in that stretch, too, between Joeseph and Jefferson streets and Magazine - they mostly have clothing but also have fleur-de-lis items like cute linens, appetizer spreaders, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,911 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magazine Street
Magazine Street
982 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Chicagoland, IL
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

Thanks! I already have the Save NOLA store on my list of must visits....my 19 yr. old son will be working down there this summer with another friend's son who has been there for almost 2 years. I think it will be as much of a learning experience as his fancy-schmancy college!

We're still debating getting a car. The last time we were down we used it exactly twice....to and from the airport. BUT, we definitely want to try to get out of town this time, go on a few tours, etc. I really need to decide....we leave first thing Saturday morning!!!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

The knock-off purse shop is probably one of the stalls in the French Market, a flea market located diagonally across the street from Jackson Square. Cafe du Monde is part of the French Market. There are a bunch of knock-off purses, luggage and other items sold there. The French Market is definitely "one-stop" shopping as you can pick up all your souvenirs here at usually the cheapest prices in the French Quarter - everything from t-shirts to Mardi Gras masks.

On Magazine St, you have to check out:

1) The boutiques Ah-Ha and Hemline. The clothes are really cute, and they carry everything from jeans to dresses.

2) Earthsavers and Belladonna are two popular day spas on Magazine St, and they carry lots of home decor and bath products.

3) There are also a ton of antique shops on Magazine St, so it's fun to browse, even if you aren't interested in buying. Bon Marche Antique Mall is one of the larger stores.

4) Mignon Faget is a really famous New Orleans jewelry designer, so it's worth a stop to check out her store.

5) You have to stop for gelato at La Divina Gelateria and/or candy at Sucre. They are located right next to each other, and definitely a treat!

Here's a full listing again: http://www.magazinestreet.com/

Mentioned in this post
French Market
French Market
1,901 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,911 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cafe Du Monde
Cafe Du Monde
29,904 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

i second nearly everything that WorldTraveller says..including Sucre-that shop is so adorable I can't get over it. I also very highly recommend Juan's Flying Burrito for lunch. Very good mexican food! There's also a little shop a few doors down from there (the name escapes me) but it's got funky clothes and novelties that teenagers are bound to like.

I'm really glad we've included Magazine street on our last two visits (just back yesterday!). We even caught the block party at Parasols Monday (i can't believe we all crammed in there!)

I'm really bummed I missed the Save Nola store...oh well....next time!

-kel

Mentioned in this post
Sucre
Sucre
755 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Juan's Flying Burrito
Juan's Flying Burrito
446 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magazine Street
Magazine Street
982 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Parasol's
Parasol's
323 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

Rocky's Pizza - I realize you didn't ask about food, but the last time I was on Magazine Street we popped in for 'something to tide us over', hahahaha... We had a small pie with olives and pepperoni. The crust was paper thin and the pie was bursting with flavour. While you are shopping, you gotta stop in for a few slices.

I made a great purchase in one of the antique shoppes, too. Sorry, cannot recall the name. It was an antique window, with 4 individual panes, and in each pane there is a photo circa 1900. Amazing.

There is a shop I love, and always make purchases there. It's not on Magazine, but on Decatur, in that small strip of shoppes past Cafe DuMonde. It's called Head to Toe. It has beautiful vintage looking clothes, accessories and home furnishings. It might be just what you are looking for. Wonderful owner, too!

Mentioned in this post
Magazine Street
Magazine Street
982 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

I second the rec for La Davina Gelateria. Heaven! for magazine street eats, I prefer Reginellis pizza to Rocky's and Taqueria Corona to Juan's, but everyone has different tastes! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

Another vote for Taqueria Corona. The best burritos in the city!

I also like Ignatius Eatery for their po-boys, and Casamento's for their oyster loaf. The Bulldog and Balcony Bar for drinks and a good time :)

Rue de la Course makes a great chai latte and is one of my favorite coffee shops.

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

so how far from say Bourbon St to Magazine?

can we walk there and back in a morning?

for a taxi ride how far is it or should we take

street car out and walk back?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

Walking from Bourbon St to Magazine St would probably take about 1-2 hrs ONE WAY, since they are in separate neighborhoods at least 2-3 miles apart, and I doubt you'd be running 10 minute miles!

I'd highly recommend getting on the St. Charles Ave streetcar. Getting off at Jackson Ave and walking down to Magazine St. Walk between Magazine and Jackson and Magazine and Napoleon and then head back to St. Charles to board the streetcar back to the CBD/French Quarter area.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,450 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Williamsport...
Level Contributor
419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping/ Magazine

Thank you.

for not knowing the area the information is appreciated.