We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian Resteraunts

Glasgow
11 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarian Resteraunts

Hi

Me and the boy are off to New Orleans in June (5 weeks to go-can I get a woop woop) and staying in Country Inn and Suites FQ. Basically, I'm a bit of a fussy eater and not too easy to accomodate (I know, I hate me too)

I don't eat meat so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any vegetarian resteraunts in and around the French Quarter? My non-meatness isn't anything to do with ideology, I just don't like the taste so the way in which the food is cooked is irrelevent.

Thanks in advance

Kate

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

I have several friends who are strict vegetarians, and many of the nicer restaurants in the French Quarter will offer vegetarian friendly options.

Some recommendations:

Eat Restaurant (Dumaine St in Quarter) - this is a hip, fun little restaurant that offers New Orleans classics and several vegetarian options

Bennachin (Royal St in Quarter) - this restaurant has a West African vibe, and there are lots of vegetarian friendly selections

Hookah Cafe (Frenchmen St in Marigny) - this restaurant/bar/cafe is near the Quarter and has lots of different small plate selections

Sekisui Samurai (Decatur St in Quarter) - Japanese and plenty of veggie options

NY
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

I found all the restaurants accomodating, from high priced to the gumbo shop and praline connection. The gumbo shop has veg. gumbo and veg. rice and beans daily. The praline connection also does rice and beans that have no meat base. The nice restaurants all did a pasta thing for me. I had no trouble finding food, and did not have to live on salads.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

Mimi's in the Marigny had several good, non-meat tapas options:

neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

Katy,

Your post made me laugh. My husband gets so exasperated with our vegetarian daughter and where she will and won't eat. We'll be in Edinburgh in a few weeks, and some folks were kind enough to point us in the right direction for vegetarian choices there, so I'm happy to return the favor.

I can personally say that the vegetarian blackened dish at Mulate's was very good, and we got some wonderful vegetarian dishes at the Lebanon Cafe on S. Carrollton.

No personal experience with any of these, but I've found them on various vegetarian restaurant lists:

Apple Seed Shoppe. CBD: 201 St. Charles Ave. 529-3442.

Back To The Garden. Lee Circle Area: 833 Howard Ave. 299-8792

Cafe Rose Nicaud 634 Frenchmen St, New Orleans, Louisiana 504-949-3300

Basil Leaf 1438 S. Carrollton Ave. 862-9001. Thai

Philip Chan's Asian Cajun Bistro Uptown New Orleans

8400 Oak Street New Orleans, LA Phone: 504.522.4964

Sara's. 724 Dublin. 861-0565. Eclectic. Indian

Sukho Thai. 1913 Royal. 400-0561. Thai.

Bennachin. 1212 Royal. 522-1230. African.

Elizabeth's. 601 Gallier. 944-9272. Neighborhood. Breakfast. Sandwiches

Surrey's Cafe & Juice Bar, 1418 Magazine St., 524-3828

Five Happiness, 3605 S. Carrollton Ave., 482-3935 Chinese

August Moon, 3635 Prytania St., 899-5129, 899-5122 Chinese

Hookah Cafe, 1132 Decatur St., 566-7057 Indian

Nirvana Indian Cuisine, 4308 Magazine St., 894-9797

Salt N Pepper, 201 N. Peters St. , 561-6070 Pakistani

Tandoori Chicken, (CBD) 115 University Pl., 299-1926 Indian

Horinoya, 920 Poydras St., 561-8914 Japanese

Kyoto, 4920 Prytania St., 891-3644 Japanese

Juan's Flying Burrito, 2018 Magazine St., 569-000 Mexican

Nacho Mama's Mexican Grill, 3242 Magazine St., 899-0031

Babylon Cafe, 7724 Maple St., 314-0010 Middle Eastern

Byblos, 3218 Magazine St., 894-1233 Middle Eastern

Dixie Gyro, 110 Carondelet St., 523-6614 Middle Eastern

Nile Cafe, 3100 Magazine St., 897-0920 Middle Eastern

Sing Ha Thai Cafe, 413 Carondelet St., 581-2205

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

"vegetarian blackened dish at Mulate's" = "vegetarian blackened PASTA dish at Mulate's"

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

St Rose,

We too have a vegetarian daughter, so thanks for the list. Of the places nearer the FQ the OP was asking about, Sukhothai is very good. Several places on the list are closed - Tandoori Chicken, Asian Cajun, Back to the Garden. Other non-FQ places I can recommend from the list are Byblos, Lebanon's Cafe, Mona's, Nirvana, Juan's, Singha, Surrey's, Sara's and Basil Leaf. Most all of the better places in the Quarter will whip up something vegetarian even if it's not on the menu - just ask; we've never been not accommodated, but if you want to be sure, call ahead.

Glasgow
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

Thanks chaps-knowledge in power so they say, so hopefully now my boy will refrain from stabbing me when dinner time rolls around....

Stouse: I'm based in Glasgow (about an hour from Edinburgh) so I'm pretty clued up on the best veggie places in town. If you want names/directions, just gimme a bell...

8. Re: Vegetarian Resteraunts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 12:20