We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Thursday (3 of us)

We will land about 3:00 PM and will be starved since early breakfast. Taxi to H. Monteleone and stash the bags

Too late for Johnny's and Napoleon (darn it)

Probably head for Acme and have just a light bite & drink to tide us over until dinner.

6:30 Carousel Bar

8:00 Dinner at Mr.B's

10:00 House of Blues (would go to the 9:00 show but can't stand up that long - DH still having knee problems off and on)

Friday (5/6 of us)

10:00 2 Sisters for Milk Punch

12:00 Napoleon House for Muffs and Pimm's

2:00 Rest up

6:00 Meet all at Carousel Bar (8 of us)

8:30 Dinner at Irene's

Walk around for music.Stop when we find what we like.

Saturday (6 of us)

10:30 Tour at le Monde Creole

1:00 Remoulades for Shrimp Arnaud

2:30 Johnny's Po-Boy to go = eat outside

5:00 IMAX at 5:00

6:00 Waterfront to walk around /or rest at hotel pool

8:30 Dinner (TBD)

Walk around & shop or for music.

Sunday (7 of us)

11:30 Jazz Brunch at Mr. B's

2:00 Algiers for Ferry Ride

4:00 Carriage Ride

6:30 Light Dinner at Pere Antoines

Walk around / shop

Monday (6 of us - maybe 8)

11:30 Lunch at Commander's Palace.

2:30 Taxi to Airport

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!! The rest will have to wait until the fall.

Since there are 8 of us (off and on) it's hard to make everyone happy all the time, so we've tried to incorporate something for everyone.

Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
City Tours, Equipment Hire, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Terrific itinerary, Brahmama!

You mention "Le Monde Creole"....do you mean this:

http://www.mondecreole.com/

???

I've never heard of this tour, but it looks great. Would love to hear your feedback when you return home.

I see Mr. B's on your schedule twice. For a change of scenery, you might consider Arnaud's for Jazz Brunch. You can view a PDF of their brunch menu on their site:

http://www.arnauds.com/

Wishing you and your gang a wonderful trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Sounds like you're packing in quite a lot! I would recommend a trip to Frenchmen St when you're searching for some music, as this is one of the best places to hear live music while you're in the city.

Also, for a Sunday brunch alternative, the Palace Cafe is quite nice. If you wanted to see the City Park area of the city, Sunday brunch at Ralph's On the Park http://www.ralphsonthepark.com/ would be a great way to combine two activities, saving time for a ferry ride to Algiers after.

nyc
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

You mentioned Remoulades for shrimp arnaud.I think a lot of people overlook the fact they share a kitchen with Arnauds,so some dishes are the same. Having said this DO try thier turle soup! As for music, my favorite is Donnas bar and grill on north rampart.

Have fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Why Pere Antoine's? Just curious as it's not usually a place we see mentioned often. I've dined there twice and it was just okay both times.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! You guys rock.

Yes, that was the website www.mondecreole.com - and I'll let you know about it. Sounds great! I wish I remembered who mentioned in on T.Z.

Thanks for the Arnaud's suggestions - the Jazz Brunch is REALLY hard to choose! SO many choices. We are going to stop by Arnaud's for their signature shrimp.

Thanks for reminding us of Frenchmen - 2 of the gang are staying in Marigny (where we booked before the knee started in hurting a lot) so I'm sure we'll get over there for some live music.

I have taken a look at the Palace Cafe too. (The menu, that is) After awhile the food all sounds alike - esp in the Brennan's cousins' menus. Sunday Brunch at Ralph's sounds fun too - I enjoyed the website - I'll mention it to the gang!

Oh, I will try the turtle soup! And I have read about Donna's Bar & Grill. Are you the ones that went up there 4 out of 5 nights on your last trip?

Pere Antoine's? Well, one of the guys (that frequents NO) said that they liked to stop by there for a light dinner - because it has breakfast and such in case we start running out of room!

Now we're just sitting and waiting (and packing) and hoping! I know it will be a great time and I'm looking forward to introducing 7 people to each other. I hope they all play nice and don't run with scissors.... (Can you tell I was a teacher in a former life?)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Let us know what you think of Pere Antoine's. It's a cute space.

Definitely do check out Frenchmen Street if the knee permits. While maybe not for everyone, I think it's a great area and is almost "guaranteed fun."

Chicago
Level Contributor
311 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

I have liked Pere Antoine's for the "simple days" - when I'm not spending$50 and up per person at the grand and fancy, but want more than a diner sandwich. I could get for 9-12 bucks there what a similar "medium" looking place would charge 25, and when I still wanted to sit quietly at a table and be served, vs a meal-in-a-basket at a bar.... although Coop's is still a better bargain if you're up for it. ANd it's on the backside of my usual hotel, Bourbon Orleans - perhaps part of the same building complex. Breakfasts are a bargain, simple American style. Plus they are (or were) open late, so if I had a heavy late lunch/early dinner I could get a simple bowl of gumbo, with fresh bread, again served at a quiet table about 10 p.m., while I rested my feets and contemplated going out for the night or calling it a night. Not that I'm cheap (that much) but I can only see doing about 4 50-60 dollar meals in a two-week stay.

My earlier alternatives used to be the Gumbo Shop and the Coffee Pot, both on St. Peter. But they have both gone way down in quality over these past, well,ten years. And ... at least once I have to get some country-fried steak at the Clover Grill!

Brahmama: I like your scheduling. ABout my speed, not too many museums, and break up the group some days. Especially your Friday: Start at noon, milk punch for two hours, then Pimm's and sandwich next two hours, rest four hours, then to Carousel Bar for the next round of cocktails. LOL! I won't ask how many drinks per person at each stop.

BTW. I see you mentioned hubby's knees. Be aware that the Le Monde Creole tour is two hours, and all walking, but seated at each of five courtyards while the story is related at each stop. When the tour guide saw my walking stick (I just carry it for sympathy) he was quick to warn me of the walking and some stairs. Only stairs in one place, that can be skipped. I was fine, but was tired after. It has one side trip a few block up, and back, to the cemetery, that could be skipped, and DH meets everyon at the next courtyard address.

You may wish to go back about one week here in TA postings and see the thread I started about electric scooter rentals. Available for one or several days, one poster gave links to two companies.

Oh yes, it's summer. Do as the our guide did and I didn't. Everyone carry a bottle of water with you. Don't worry about bathrooms - you'll sweat it off.

And I mean water - alcohol doesn't count. :(

nyc
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

No, I was not the person who went to Donnas 4 of the 5 nights when there. But I can see why somebody would! Heres a thought.How about having your jazz brunch at Palace cafe? Since you will have already gone to Mr B's? I love Mr B's gumbo ya ya but I'm sure you have that covered at your dinner. I do have one question. Are you eating anywhere outside the quarter? The CBD has some of the best restuarants in town and I didn't see any on your list? I hope I don't sound preachy but I won't get to NO for a while so I'm living thru others. It sounds your going to have a wonderful time.

nyc
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Sorry to SlateNYc for not reading your post earlier, I see you had the Palace already covered. BTW have you found anywhere in the city (NY) for a quick New Orleans fix? You know, a decent gumbo or a strong sazerac?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights to go - IItinerary - Comments/Suggestions Coveted

Paul, I mentioned Arnaud's, not the Palace, so you didn't step on my toes!

I've long since given up trying to find convincing Louisiana cooking outside of Louisiana. Ain't happenin'! Gumbo, especially, seems to elude most NYC restaurant chefs. Not having access to Gulf seafood undoubtedly makes a difference — that, and the fact that good NOLA cooks are naturally more "tuned in" to the nuances of their own cuisine. Maybe I'd be less persnickety if I weren't from New Orleans.

You can get a tasty Sazeracs in NYC, though, at good cocktail bars, such as Pegu Club, Little Branch, Flatiron, etc.