We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans or Frisco?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
New Orleans or Frisco?

Hey all,

I'm hoping somone can give some advice. A friend and I (both female in mid 20s) are planning a relatively last minute trip to anywhere in the world for one week. Due to budget constraints and that we only have one week, we decided to stick with our corner of the world (we're from Ottawa) and so New Orleans and Frisco are far enough to still feel like a holiday trip. So my question is: which one to pick?? We're going the third week in June and we want to stay in hostels and we want to stay busy pretty much all the time. Anyone have any advice on which to pick?

Thanks very much in advance!

-T

(I also posted this in the Frisco forum)

Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

My vote is NEW ORLEANS. In spite of the heat and humidity almost every where you go has ample (sometimes more than ample) air conditioning so escaping the heat is not a problem. Also, from what I can determine, you will be traveling by air. In San Francisco, you'll probably need to rent a car to reach many of the tourist sights. In New Orleans a car is actually a hinderance. There are few places you can't reach by foot or foot street car combination. But a lot depends upon what you two want to do. If you're into meeting a lot of great and sometimes very unique people, enjoy a variety of music, great food, and the feeling that you've actually left the country and are in a small European community then New Orleans is the place to go. There are many great places to eat and still get the full experience on a budget in New Orleans. New Orleans can also be what you want, a relaxing jaunt or a partying good time or a combination of the two. Even shopping is unique in New Orleans, the French Market for some inexpensive tourist things or Magazine Street for some unique boutiques with things you won't always find elsewhere across the country.

I too am not familar with the hostels in either location but have read good things about the Canal Street Guest House and their reviews here are consistently good. Here the two of you can stay for less than $25.00 a night each. Check out their site and the reviews here. http://www.bestguesthouse.com/

Let us know what kind of things you're interested in doing and seeing and perhaps we can offer you some more suggestions in regards to which would be the best choice for the two of you.

Either choice you make I'm sure will be wonderful and have a great time.

Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
358 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

Here's my take on it - I enjoy walking a lot, but I can walk a lot farther in New Orleans because it is FLAT! If you get tired, you can jump on a street car which will actually STOP for you rathewr than having to jump on a moving cable car. Additionally, New Orleans is much smaller in area and can use your tourist dollars. And there are the hotel rates; I got an $89 rate for the Monteleone Hotel (4 stars) because it's summer. Lastly? I like New Orleans better and feel safer there than in San Francisco.

hartford, ct
Level Contributor
109 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

Good Afternoon,

This post was very helpful to me. I was trying to decide between: San Francisco, New Orleans or Seattle in August. Now I am definitely going to New Orleans!

Thanks Everyone

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

The issue with walking in New Orleans is that in the summertime especially August walking even short distances takes a lot more effort because of the heat and humidity. However, you can walk for a lot longer in San Francisco (and tackle some hills at the same time) and not feel winded because of the weather.

If you're gonna be in New Orleans for the summer just keep that in mind, stay well-hydrated and be watchful for hurricane season.

Walnut Creek CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

Being a native Californian and living in the Bay Area for the last 25 years, and having just gotten back from a wonderful 3-day trip to New Orleans, I can say without a doubt I would choose New Orleans for your vacation. Yes, San Francisco has many more shops and restaurants, and sights, but if you're going for a week you will not run out of those things in New Orleans. In my opinion, New Orleans is the more friendly city, has more true character, and has a much richer and more diverse history than San Francisco. My experience was as if the people of New Orleans were truly happy we were there. Maybe that was my imagination, but it's how we felt…completely welcomed. Also, New Orleans is definitely more "pedestrian-friendly", based both on ease of navigation and driver courtesy.

That being said…if you ultimately choose the West Coast for your vacation, I will be happy to chime in with recommendations. You will have a great time in either town, but I personally would rather spend my money in New Orleans.

And regarding the "Frisco" thing…it's absolutely true. The only people who use that word to describe SF are tourists and the local Hell's Angels members. So unless you want to identify yourself as one or the other, don't use the word :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
311 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

I have been following this thread closely. 14 trips to NOLA in 11 years -- each year saying next titme San Francisco. But I don't walk very well these days, and I have gotten all the SF guide books, maps, etc. And consider, in NOLA I can step outside my hotel door and already "be there" without having to plan special trips to the different areas. Plus the comfort of the familiar, I know.

Some day I still plan to go to SF. But this December I will be back in the French Quarter. Well, maybe a trip before then this summer to the Atlantic coast .... Now, lessee: Charlotte, Charleston, Savannah, or Asheville? ... :)

Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

I have been to both and I can say I like both for different reasons.

I like SF becuase it is stunning, fascinating, and there is alot to do with museums and things you can get to easily with public transportation.

However, SF did depress me with it's extreme homeless population and panhandlers everywhere. I live in NY, and wasn't used to the 3 panhandlers per block...some with their pets that I saw in SF. I found myself going out with a budgeted allowance for these folks, and after awhile I found that I was literally almost running down the street, because it was overwhelming to see so many people panhandling-and so sad.

That said, there are wine tours you can take, there are plenty of museums you can do, and it's a city that is fun.

What I love about New Orleans is the way it feels. I feel, when there, sort of the way I do when I'm in places in Europe. It is laid back, funky, very steamy and hot in summer, but has a charm that is hard to explain. There are museums in NOLA, great places to eat. If you rent a car you can get out to other parts of La, and experience some of the charm of a very different place.

There is a feel to New Orleans, and it's something that gets to you. I think you either love it or you don't.

While in New Orleans we did alot. We toured the Garden District, visited the cemetaries, took a couple ghost tours, ate, drank, and carried on. It was great.

I do not suggest the hostels in New Orleans, unless you spoke with anyone w ho'd stayed there since K. An inexpensive hotel, which might be do-able, would be your best bet. In the summer, there are lower rates.

All the best, whatever you choose.

Fyre

Maple Valley, WA
Level Contributor
259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

I have been to both and would definately pick New Orleans. I was in San Francisco on 4th of July weekend and it was cold & windy. I was out walking around in shorts and had to go in a store and buy some pants. I like sun and warmth. Also, coming from the Seattle area, San Francisco feels similar (I know it's not the same), New Orleans feels like you are in a totally different country. It is very unique.

Although they are both great and I would go back to either again - I would definately pick New Orleans first.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

Thanks a million guys! i think i will have to try and swing TWO holidays this summer :o)

-T

20. Re: New Orleans or Frisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 03:19