We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please tell me

Oklahoma
8 posts
Save Topic
Please tell me

Hello

Okay, so we got 2 free rountrip airline tickets to anywhere in the U.S. and we are considering New Orleans......

So, needless to say... since this is a once in a lifetime opportunity...I want it to be spectacular!

So I need the best advice on hotels, must see places,etc.etc.

You are welcome to suggest other desitinations also.

We are from a small town in Oklahoma and are not able to travel much. I dont want to go anywhere cold like the mountains. And I want to save the ocean for when we can take the kids someday.

I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
311 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please tell me

Indianapolis

Springfield

Oklahoma City

Oh, or maybe New Orleans

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,897 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please tell me

"So I need the best advice on hotels, must see places,etc.etc."

Well, you've come to the right place - it's all here, just start reading the posts on the forum as well as the tabs on the left of the page for "things to do" and "New Orleans hotels" etc and you'll have all the information you need!

If you have specific questions about a hotel or activity or restaurant feel free to post back!

Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please tell me

Glad to hear you are considering New Orleans. You won't be disappointed.

Regarding hotels there is such a variety, it would help to know what interests you. Big luxury type, smaller boutique type, chain hotel or something with a New Orleans feel to it that you won't find in any other city. There's also the options of B&B's and New Orleans has some wonderful ones.

Must see places depend too on your interests. Are you into history, partying, music, food, architecture, well New Orleans has it all (and more) and you can pick and choose. I would suggest perhaps a swamp tour (something that is completely different landscape wise than Oklahoma) and perhaps a plantation tour.

I just got back from Oklahoma last week, is it still windy as all get out? Had a great time and it was nice to go back there again after over 20 years.

Skiatook, OK
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please tell me

I too am from a small town in Oklahoma and we go to New Orleans every year. It is someplace that I believe everyone must see at least once. It is dirty, but it is the most intriguing place I have ever been. I love the history, I love the people and I can't wait to go back!!!!!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please tell me

New Orlean is my favorite place in the world. I have been there 30+ times and never get tired of it. There is so much history, the architecture is amazing, the food is incredible, and there is music everywhere. Some of the fun things to do are to take a streetcar ride on St. Charles Avenue and see the beautiful mansions, take a cemetary tour, swamp tour, shop in the French Market, visit a plantation, eat beignets at Cafe Du Monde, take a ghost tour at night, take a buggy ride around the French Quarter, see Hurricane on the Bayou at the Imax Theatre, visit the zoo, take the free ferry to Mardi Gras World, have a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's, wander down to Frenchmen Street for great jazz...you won't run out of things to do in New Orleans. My favorite hotel is the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please tell me

Although I do love New Orleans, I'd have to suggest based on your good circumstances, for you to consider Washington D.C. and/or New York City, as well as New Orleans. Both would take more planning than going to New Orleans, but they are truly grand and more diverse.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please tell me

Someone else asked to pick b/w N.O. and San Francisco and my answer was New Orleans.

You, however, have 2 free tickets to anywhere - that's different. I would try to take advantage of that and go to the most expensive place you've always dreamed of visiting - have you been to Hawaii? From OK there are probably not a lot of times you can go there on a discount, so my advice is to go there on the free tix but to book a (probably much cheaper) ticket for New Orleans for your very next vacation!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please tell me

Sorry- you did say save the ocean for another time but this seems like you could check it out yourselves first and know where they'd like to go "for next time". :) Go to Maui, stay a few days there and island-hop if the free tix will let you!

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please tell me

I've never been any where else quite like New Orleans. The place is very "condenced" meaning almost anything you could want to do is just steps away. You don't need a car (unless you want to travel out of the city for some reason). There is more to see and do than you could do in a week (or 2). It's my favorite place to go, relax and unwind.

Lake Stevens...
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please tell me

Even though it has been my lifelong dream to visit New Orleans (and doing so shortly), I second CultureHound’s advice. Here is why:

You said that you live in Oklahoma it would actually be feasible for you to drive there (10-11 hours). I would pick some place that you will not be able to easily visit anytime soon. I know that you said you didn’t want to go to the beach or the mountains but Alaska or Hawaii have to be the two most expensive places to get to right now. Alaska is quite warm in the summer and not to humid. Both have panoramic beauty that you just can’t capture in a picture. Also New York, D.C. & San Francisco accommodations can be very expensive (for a good location). Having a free flight will definitely make it affordable. And if your free ticket does not exclude U.S. territories like the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, I would also consider them. Two free tickets is a once in life time score so I would make it a once in a lifetime trip ;0)

JMHO