We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haunted history tour for Garden district?

Champaign, IL
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Haunted history tour for Garden district?

We were thinking of possibly doing this tour instead of meandering around the garden district on our own. We would like to see the Lafayette cemetary and I understand it is closed if you are not with a group.

Would this tour be worth the $16 pp (have a coupon) or should I just take my UG Walking tour?

Also the only day we could fit it in would be Thurs, which we have lunch ressies at Commanders Palace at 1:30 if I switched that ressie to 11:00, would we have time to enjoy our meal and get to the Pontachatrain hotel (where the tour starts) by 1:15?

There is also a tour scheduled at 10:00, so I could keep the 1:30 resservation but it had been suggested we not tour the garden district first or we would be wringing wet from the heat and not very appropriate for lunch at CP?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haunted history tour for Garden district?

You can definitely visit the Lafayette Cemetery on your own; you don't need a tour to visit the cemetery.

I like the Haunted History tour because it gives you a great deal of information, and I had an excellent guide. But if you have your own self-guided tour, then it might not be necessary and if you're worried about the heat, you could go at your own pace if you went on your own.

Commander's Palace is about 10 blocks from the Pontchartrain Hotel, which might be a 15-20 minute walk depending on your pace. You could definitely finish lunch in an hour and a half (many locals go there for a business lunch, and if you tell the waitstaff you are in a hurry, then will accommodate you). I just wouldn't rush through lunch, since Commander's is an experience in itself.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
203 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haunted history tour for Garden district?

When I was in NOLA I did both a cemetary tour and the walking tour of the Garden District. Though different, I enjoyed them both and would highly recommend doing both/either. The cemetaries are beautiful and facinating. The homes in the garden district are lovely and a nice opportunity to venture out of the French Quarter. Whichever you decide, you shouldn't be disappointed. Have fun!

3. Re: Haunted history tour for Garden district?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 05:26