We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Budget

lynn haven, fl
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food Budget

I'm coming to new orleans trying to be prepared as possible. As far as food and restaurants go is NO an expensive place. I will be paying for me and my wife: would a good budget be $100/day. I'm thinking a $40 lunch and a $60 dinner. We usually eat breakfast at the hotel. I don't want to skimp on NO's infamous food but want to be organized moneywise. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanx

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Budget

If that is $100 per persopn, you'll be fine. If 100 for two people, you can survive, but will need to always eat at the smaller, simple places, and miss out on much of that the city is known for.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Budget

Is that for one or two people and what about cocktails? Let us know and we can make some suggestions in your price range.

NOLA has many expensive AND inexpensive places to eat. Also know that "cash only" is a little more common here than some other destinations.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Budget

That's plenty to budget.

lynn haven, fl
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Budget

$100/day was hopefully for me and my wife. I can always budget $150/day if needed.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Budget

Yes, $100/day is fine, especially because you'll probably end up eating less than $40 for lunch, so that gives you a bit of wiggle room for dinner. And I'd definitely splurge for dinner.

Borger, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Budget

About the cash only comment, is that usual for restaurants? I don't normally have tons of cash, instead using AMEX for food and lodging, do most restaurants accept AMEX? What about the shops? Do they? Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Budget

Cash only is for the more casual restaurants/shops i.e. po-boy places, smaller joints. All the major restaurants take credit cards, including AMEX (that's how I earn my Hilton Honors points!)

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Budget

We split meals for lunch/dinner---but still spend more than that----like our drinks!

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Budget

Hi!

Like you, my husband and I try to stick to a reasonable budget, but we try to leave a little wiggle room since it is our vacation. We usually splurge ($50 to $75 per person) on dinner in a restaurant we really want to try at least once, and do lunch at others. One thing we found was that the appetizers at every single place we went were pricey and not worth it, won't do that again! Something that may be useful to you is that we both agreed that the meals we had in inexpensive restaurants were often much better than those in the pricey ones. We particulary enjoyed Angeli's on Decatur, Pierre Maspero's, Red Fish Grill, Fahdi's (across from the French Market), and Johnny's Po-boys. These may not be "high-class" establishments, but the food was wonderful, and far less than you have budgeted. After a night on Bourbon St., we loved to go by Quarter Master (corner of Bourbon and Ursulines) and grab a couple Diet Cokes, a bag of Zapp's chips and a roast beef po-boy to split back in our room. Pure Gastric Heaven for about $15! We also had the best Gyros either of us have ever tasted at a hole in the wall on Royal St. right across from the entrance to McDonald's. A very nice Greek couple run the place, and boy, oh boy, do they make a tasty gyro! I realize this is not "la cuisine", but it sure is good!!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Budget

This answers one of my questions I was going to ask eventually. I am budgeting 100$ a day for food and drink for my 1st trip next April, and even though I figured it should be enough for just me, I didn't want any nasty surprises when I got there either. The credit card is for emergencies only.....suppose to be anyway. :)

I'm not planning on going to many haute cuisine restaurants (probably 1 for a treat), but do want to be able to have a "beverage" or 2 during the day, and 1 or 2 during the evening without worrying about price.

The hotel does have a continental breakfast, but a girl can only do croissant and pastries for breakfast so many mornings. :-)