We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

California
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

Hello!

My husband and I will be arriving in town this week and will be staying over the labor day weekend. We're thankful that we didn't pre-book any of our tours given the unpredictability of the weather.

Given the current weather conditions, the question of what to wear/bring comes up? It looks like a 60% chance of precipitation with temperatures of up to 90 degrees.

Any expert advice on how some newbies could survive the hurricane weather? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

First of all, it's not a hurricane...right now it's a tropical storm, and by the time it gets here, could even possibly be a tropical depression (the least severe of the three types of storms).

Bring an umbrella, and perhaps add a couple of extra pairs of shoes in case you get caught walking through some really wet streets! Even better, shop for some really cute, decorated rain/shrimp boots while you're here...you can show them off as a souvenir of your adventures in the tropical weather!

At it's worst, the storm will bring gusty winds and heavy rains, but is forecast to be out of here by Monday or Tuesday.

Have a safe trip!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

Wear clothes that wick away moisture well. Even if it does not rain, the humidity is high and the moisture in the air will make you feel wet with perspiration. Bring a portable umbrella and shoes that don't care if they get wet. Leather sandals are great for this. You can buy disposable rain ponchos all over here if you need and a good hat is always useful as well. Speaking of sunshade, bring along your sunglasses and if need be, the sunscreen too.

California
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

Thanks so much for the quick and informative responses, Caseyno and lasflores. We will be picking up some rain gear for our trip today. We are really excited. We've been looking forward to this trip for months. Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

My apologies...Tropical Storm Fay. Coming from San Diego, if we have more than 2 inches of rain...we freak out and it's equivalent to our "snow day." :)

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

No apology necessary ;-) Since tropical systems are a way of life here, we're very aware of the distinctions from a minor depression all the way to a Cat 5 storm. (my 6 year old can tell you the wind speeds for each official classification!)

I also wanted to mention...always choose an umbrella over a raincoat...all the coat will do is make you hot and miserable!

Best wishes for a safe and fun trip!

Bakersfield, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

I want to thank Tigerlily for this question. I'm also making the trek from sunny California to NOLA. In my area of Cali, we only had less 3 inches of rain all year. I really had to search to find my umbrella. LOL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

Fay is now a tropical depression, which means rain is the only real concern. Bring an umbrella and enjoy a potentially soggy couple of days!

Chicago
Level Contributor
311 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

With sandals and shorts, if your feet and legs get wet, no problem. A cotton shirt or T that helps evaporation, and you have a complete wardrobe for a typical day of wandering.

Extra T's and shorts if several days. Maybe one "nice" outfit if you plan to do a fancy restaurant or two.

But please don't buy those cheesy obscene t-shirts at the shops on the street.

9. Re: Dressing for Hurrricane Fay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 08:21