We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Bears

Queensland...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Wild Bears

I am from Australia and have never seen a bear before. Is it safe for me to go bush walking in and around New Orleans in the forrest?

I have no idea if its safe from bears or wolves.

Thankyou

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Bears

Sorry, but your chances of finding a bear or wolf near New Orleans are pretty slim. The city has no "forests" either. Unless you take a swamp tour, your visit to New Orleans will be pretty urban.

Louisiana does have a small black bear variety that is native to the state. I think you'll find them in the central and northern parts of the state more than in the south but will be happily corrected if someone knows more about this!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Bears

There will be alot of bears in the Quarter next weekend.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Bears

If you plan to go out traipsing through swamp areas, alligators, rather than bears, should be your primary concern.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Bears

I have to agree with one of the previous posts. There are no forests and no bears in this area. IF you take a swamp boat tour, you can come close with alligators in the swamp. But, to take a swamp boat tour, you have to drive at least an hour out of town, or sign on with a tour that will pick you up from your hotel. To go hiking, you will have to drive an hour outside of town as well. You can go walking all around the city and enjoy yourself with good food, great music and interesting architecture.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Bears

If you want to get out "in the bush" while you're in New Orleans, here's an option for you. You'll need to hire a care to get there.

www.nps.gov/jela/barataria-preserve.htm

Calgary
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Bears

Come to the Rockies. Lots of bears here, especially in the fall when they are getting ready to hibernate. Lot's of hungry ones.

7. Re: Wild Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 10:18