We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gustav

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Gustav

So what's the word on Tropical Stom Gustav? And bets that it will hit New Orleans soon? I really hope not-I'm coming in on the 2nd.

Best Seller
Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
706 reviews
from US$176.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
941 reviews
from US$48.00*
Best Seller
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
114 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
Natchez Harbor Steamboat Cruise with...
578 reviews
from US$34.00*
US$46.00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gustav

Ugghhh,

www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml…

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gustav

Jeez, that doesn't look too good right now does it?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gustav

oh no not another one!!! Hope you have a great time anyways, Paul...can't wait to hear your review!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gustav

It's still WAAAAAAAY too early to be overly concerned over a storm that hasn't even reached Haiti and the Dominican Republic yet. Forecast paths can (and almost always do) change from day-to-day. By the time it finishes its climb over Cuba, we'll know more.

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gustav

Bummer....Arriving Sept 5th-8th......oh well, its many days out and anything can happen.

Good luck to everyone!

Chow!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gustav

In New Orleans' experience, the male hurricanes/storms are way nicer than the female ones...here's hoping the tradition continues!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gustav

I agree it is too soon to worry, although we are arriving Thursday night, and I cannot help myself looking at the possible trajectories. I don't mind rain in NO, seems we see some on each trip. It is warm enough to be quite tolerable, as long as the storm does not intensify and impact our return flight. We are traveling home on Sunday, August 31st on ExpressJet. Since it is their last day to fly under their own brand, delays that carried to the next day could potentially be problematic. All this worry could drive me to drink. Happily, much of that drinking will take place in NO. I will pack a variety of umbrellas and hold good thoughts.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gustav

Here's to hoping another tradition continues...the "sea turtle" theory.

If the sea turtles lay their eggs along the gulf coast, then that means no storms.

No eggs in 2004 and 2005! (remember Ivan and "that other storm"?) But they've laid their eggs in 2006, 07 and this year (whew). Jeff Masters even included the theory in one of his blogs at Weather Underground...incidentally, a great site for more than just models and projected storm paths:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gustav

KCKid, won't ExpressJet just fly you home via Continental Express, their "unbranded" name? That makes sense, though, which is probably why an airline would be opposed to it.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gustav

Not sure if they would do that or not. We are sure hoping not to have to find out. It is a good thought though, I will make sure I have all the phone numbers with me, just in case.