We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jacques-imos cafe?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
jacques-imos cafe?

So my wife and i are going to NOLA this coming weekend. Friday is our 5 year anniversary and we wanted to go to a real good, authentic New orleans restaurant. I have a long list of places to go from this site but someone recommended jacques-imos for our friday night dinner.

is this a good place to go? or would you recommend another place?

don't care if it's a little pricey as loong as the atmosphere and food is great.

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

I am the same boat you are! Coming to NOLA this weekend with the wife and thinking aboout this place as well....torn between Jacques-Imos or Coops Place in the FQ for causual but great local cusine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

Jacques Imos is good, although I freely admit that I don't believe it's worth the incredible hype it gets on this site. Still, fun time and good food. It's across town from the Quarter so it'll be a streetcar ride or $15 cab fare to get there.

Because of Southern Decadence this weekend, many restaurants will be crowded, especially those which tend to be a bit more casual.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

First, I just want to say that I am biased - Jacques-Imo's is one of my favorite restaurants in the city because of food and ambience - but I'd recommend it to anyone wanting an authentic New Orleans experience. It is pricey, but you're also paying for the atmosphere, which is fun and festive.

Jacques-Imo's is a traditional restaurant, however, whereas Coop's Place is more of a casual cafe, so I wouldn't really compare the two.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

So, it sounds like there are better choices for our anniversary dinner.

what would you recommend for a nice anniversary dinner? Of course food is the main concern here!

Benton, LA
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

Stella in the quarter or Commanders Palace or Bayona

or Herbisant

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

I'd also recommend Stella! or Restaurant August for a wonderful anniversary dinner.

Jacques-Imo's is better for a party atmosphere! Not very romantic though!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

Bayona's or Stella's (although I haven't been to Stella in a long, long time). I'm a big fan of Bayona's - call for reservations ASAP and tell them it's your anniversary when you book!! The atmosphere and the food are divine!! The chef-owner, Susan Spicer, uses as many locally grown ingredients as possible.

Jacques-Imo is great, but not quite romantic.

I also like Sara's Restaurant in the Riverbend, it's very romantic. The food is Asian-Creole, which may not be exactly what you want, but trust me, I've had many a nice dinner date evening there.

Congrats on your 5 year anniversary and enjoy whatever you do!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

For romantic I'd choose Bayona (courtyard if not too hot), Feelings Cafe, and Broussards. Stella is a great restaurant but eclectic.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

Well, I guess Stella is off my list since they do not serve the authentic food I was looking for.

So now it;s either BON TON CAFE or Commander's Palace. hmmmm........

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jacques-imos cafe?

How about Brigtsen's? It is in the Riverbend and is romantic and very New Orleansish atmosphere. I think you can pull up their menu online as well. The chef uses as many local ingredients as possible.