We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Itinerary

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tentative Itinerary

Ok am I trying to cram too much stuff in? Do I need to rearrange some days to make better use of time?

Tentative Itinerary for 8-29- 9-5

arrive @2:45 - cab to Avenue Plaza

Get Visitour Passes

Get some beer and wine and??? oh yeah.. some groceries.

Cafe Du Monde

Dinner @ Voodoo BBq

Coolinary lunch @ Commanders

Cocktail Tour @4

Lunch @ Copelands

Late Dinner Veranda @ Intercontinental

Breakfast - Trolley Stop

Cooking Class

Shopping

Culinary History Tour

Finn M for beer and trivia

Breakfast - Old Coffee Pot

Swamp tour

Court of Two sisters Jazz Brunch

3 (birthday)

Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Beignet (yes both)

Gambling

Shopping

Cafe Adelaide

Snug Harbor

Breakfast @ - Petunias

Katrina tour

Bayona?

Breakfast @ Monteleone

Stop @ Napoleon House for Muffalata

Leave for home

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Itinerary

I apologize in advance, but I personally would scrap several of your dining choices.

Voodoo BBQ? No. It's not all that good particularly if you happen to have a good BBQ restaurant in your town. Substitute Zea or Houston's, also on St. Charles near your hotel.

Veranda? Why here? It's just a hotel restaurant! Try Luke across the street instead.

Two Sisters has pretty marginal food. Not awful but nothing close to what the price suggests. I'd go to Mr. B's Bistro (maybe a bit more expensive) or Cafe Amelie (cheaper) instead.

Copeland's hasn't reopened on St. Charles. The sister, Cheesecake Bistro, has. It's fine but, again, not memorable. Think Applebees with a lot of cajun spice.

Cafe Adelaide and Bayona are excellent choices, as is the warm muffaleta at Napoleon House.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Oh man! Please please please skip Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro or any other Copeland's restaurant in the area. Seriously, there are few restaurant chains that I avoid like the plague, but Copeland's is one of them. Zea's on St. Charles is definitely a much better choice than Cheesecake Bistro and has some good lunch specials too.

I'd also skip on Court of Two Sisters.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Itinerary

OK Coplands is out...

Now the main reason we were going to 2 sisters is the jazz buffet... Can you recommend a better one?

Interconti - I have a coupon for a free bottle of wine :) that is why.

Voodoo - We don't have a good BBQ here :(

Vin

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Commander's Palace offers the best jazz brunch in the city, and it's close to your hotel. After that, I would go with Arnaud's in the French Quarter. I also like Mr. B's Bistro and Palace Cafe for brunch.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Sorry, Vintage Chick, but I have to agree with the other 2 as well. I wouldn't eat at Court of Two Sister, Copelands, The Veranda or Voodoo BBQ if I were you.

Voodoo BBQ isn't bad, but it's just decent bbq, and it's not really a New Orleans' thing in my opinion.

The Trolley Stop is delicious and cheap, but it is diner fare, not necessarily a New Orleans' meal.

Bayona's is your best choice in my opinion!!! I love that restaurant!!! Susan Spicer does a fabulous job with her food, staff and everything!!! Petunias and Cafe Adelaide are good choices, too. I confess to not being a fan of Commanders really. I think there are better places for your money. If you really want to do Commanders, go there for Sunday brunch or to one of the other recommended places that have been mentioned in this forum for Sunday brunch.

Why not take the streetcar and go somewhere interesting for lunch, like St. James Cheese Company on the 30th. There is a wine shop next door that you can buy the wine for ($10-15) and eat on the patio, and act like a local. (Corkage fee $3, I think). The St. James has salads, cheese plates, and sandwiches and has a very European feel, which is typical of many things in New Orleans. It is 1 block off St. Charles on Prytania, and afterwards you can go and have ice cream at the Creole Creamery, one of the 1st businesses to reopen after Katrina. Interestingly, the Creole Creamery is in the original McKenzie's Bakery location (or something of historical significance). If you want afterwards, you can walk to Magazine St, and peruse the interesting shops and local art galleries. If you're really on a roll, and don't need to go back to the hotel, you can catch a cab and go to eat at any number of other Uptown restaurants, such as Lilette, Martinique Bistro, Daisy Bistro & Le Petite Grocery all of which are on Magazine St and all of which serve great French-themed food. Some of these restaurants have won awards, ie the owner of Lilette has won a James Beard Award. Afterwards, grab dessert at La Divina Gelateria (an authentic Italian gelato/sorbetto shop) or at Sucre (a fabulous dessert shop with a little of everything). Both dessert shops, which opened since Katrina, are also on Magazine St., on the same block, are locally owned, and are amazing in my opinion!! You would likely meet a lot of locals and get a feel for living in the city here if you went to one of these last 2 places for dessert.

That's just my 2cents, but then again, I guess it's with good reason that some folks call me an Uptown Girl!

On a side note, many of the shops and art galleries on Magazine St., will likely be closed on Sunday and Monday.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your birthday week in New Orleans!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Itinerary

For a jazz brunch buffet, I'd even suggest Begue's at the Royal Sonesta over Two Sisters. It's about $40 and the mimosas are included. :-) Food's decent.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative Itinerary

Well, more of the same thing, but thought I'd chime in here. We were there in June and coming back in October.

We went to Court of Two Sisters for Milk Punch - and sat at the bar and talked to Linda - who had been there for a lot of years. GREAT milk punch, but you don't want to have your Jazz Brunch there. Truly.

We went to Mr. B's for the Jazz Brunch - not stuffy and good food. I had the messy BBQ and would have it again. Ummmmm. The bloody Mary's are great too - other nice things on the menu and a nice trio doing the music.

Commander's Palace was our special place for lunch (loved the martinis and adored the food and the service and the ambiance) Don't miss it! We're going back at least twice in Oct.

Irene's for Italian with a FQ slant. Food was great - nice local feel but crowded on weekends.

Have a great b'day trip.

8. Re: Tentative Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 00:20