We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping on Magazine

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping on Magazine

I see that Magazine Street is expansive....Can anyone tell me what streets are the best to shop. Not looking for anything in particular, just fun shopping.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping on Magazine

It's 6 miles of shops and they are intermittently located, or rather, scattered in clusters along Magazine St. If you're big on walking, you could start at the section near Felicity, St. Mary, Sophie Wright and Jackson Sts. Then, go uptown 1 mile and meander between Washington and Louisiana. There are also good eateries there. Then, between Louisiana and Napoleon, there's more. That would be about a 3-4 mile walk, I think, or you can alternately drive and stop and shop and continue in that pattern. I hope this helps.

I could tell you more, if I knew what kinds of items you were wanting to shop for - pottery, prints, furniture, antiques, kid's clothes, women's clothing, etc.

For more info,find the Art for Arts Sake website and look at the list of shops along Magazine St that participated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping on Magazine

My favorite stretch is between Washington Ave and Napoleon Ave, with the stretch between Jefferson Ave and Nashville running a close second. Lots of great clothing boutiques, antiques and galleries!

Aside from lunch/dinner, you should grab a coffee/chai latte at Rue de la Course and gelato at La Divina too!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping on Magazine

If you haven't seen this already, it's a good resource: http://www.magazinestreet.com/

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping on Magazine

Although I haven't been to NO yet (5 momths and 23 days to go, but who's counting), from what I've seen on this forum, the French Market seems like the place to shop, especially for souvenirs and such items. Eveybody says that it is much cheaper than the souvenir shops in the FQ itself.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping on Magazine

It depends on what you are looking to buy, how much and if you are paying by cash or credit card. For example,if you go to the flea market end of the French market to buy 10 t-shirts, you could probably bargain with buying them all from 1 vendor and paying for cash. But, if you wanted just a few quality cotton t-shirts that will last through the washing machine and you wanted to pay with credit card, you might be better off going to a small shop in the FQ.

IMHO, the French Market is good for junk shopping or souvenir shopping. If you're looking for cell phone cases & chargers, knockoff purses, t-shirts, funky jewelry, incense, Mardi Gras masks, belts, some art work, more t-shirts, some sundresses (manufactured in India), and other assorted knickknacks, then go to the FQ FM. If you are interested in higher end pottery, and items unique to the artisan, go to Magazine St.

For those who are looking to shop, I hope this helps.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping on Magazine

And don't forget about those alligator heads and voo-doo dolls which EVERYONE must have from the French Market!!

New Iberia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping on Magazine

French Market = Cheap Cr@p.....IMHO.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping on Magazine

BooZoo,

You're exactly right but kids LOVE that stuff and the price is right for trickets!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping on Magazine

The French Market is definitely the place to pick up cheap souvenirs, gifts to take home for friends, and that type of thing.

Magazine St is all about local New Orleans businesses, with fantastic boutiques, vintage goods, antique shops and galleries, but they would by no means fall into the category of cheap souvenirs. In fact, you'll find many locals shopping on Magazine St, as well as within the cafes, bars and restaurants.

It is a completely different atmosphere from what you would find in the French Market, essentially a huge flea market.

It's a similar vibe to Royal St, though not as many jewelry stores and antique shops, and NOT as expensive :)

10. Re: Shopping on Magazine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 14:18