We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
943 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

Hello all,

How many days would you spend in New Orleans?

3 days or 4 days?

It seems that most of the attractions are in the French Quarter?

Thanks for your advices.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

You will need at least 4 days! And not all attractions are in the French Quarter. If you venture outside you will find the D-Day Museum, a world class zoo, Battle of New Orleans historical site, swamp tours, pre-civil war plantation homes, the historical Garden District. Many visitors from France also like to travel to the center of the state and investigate Cajun culture.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

At least 4 days and that still won't be enough time to see everything. I would suggest you make a list of 3 or 4 "must sees" and then spend the rest of your time exploring the French Quarter. There is so much to see and do that your dilemma will be trying to decide what you want to see in the # of days you will be here. Before you know it, it will be time to go back home and you will wish you would have had more time to see things. Read the attractions link on this site to give you a start and then follow the threads on this forum to help narrow your choices.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

However many you have, you will want many more. Four days isn't enough.

OKC
Level Contributor
304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

Chris75,

If you can stay for 4 nights, you definitely should.

As others have said, there is so much to do. A couple of nights would barely scratch the surface and leave you wishing for more.

Four nights will leave you wishing for more, but if this is all you can have, take it.

Have fun. You'll probably be planning your next trip on the way back home.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
943 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

Thank you to all of you. 4 days is my choice!

Frisco (Dallas), TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

I'd say 3 days.

Indiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

We arrived late on a Sunday evening and left on Thursday afternoon. During this time we did 2 house tours in the quarter, the afternoon Natchez Boat ride, The aquarium and took the streetcar out to the Garden dist for a walking tour. We spent some time in the malls along the river as well as the French Market and decateur St. We also checked out most of the shops and galleries on Royal St. even took time to wander through a couple other Hotel lobbies.

My wife and I were pleased with our visit and hope to visit again in a year or two. As you are travelling much farther and may not return as soon you may wish to spend more time depending on your intrests and stamina.

Also don't miss the Cathedral . We are not of the Catholic faith ourselves but enjoyed seeing it. We also spent some time walking the side streets just looking at some of the old buildings.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

365 is a good amount! Kidding. I would say 4 nights.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
943 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days in New Orleans for a first visit?

Thank you again. 4 nights is definitively better.