We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hour lay over in New Orleans

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
3 hour lay over in New Orleans

I have a 3 hour late afternoon layover in NO the day after Christmas. Was wondering if I'd have time to get downtown have some dinner and get back to the airport in time for my flight? What is the drive time to downtown from the airport? Is there frequent bus service or would I be better off taking a cab? Is 3 hours worth it or should I just hang out at the airport staring at CNN (yawn) instead.

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

It just donned on me that if I do go into New Orleans on my layover I am going to have to go through TSA airport security when I get back to the airport...soooo...I think I'll just stay put (at tge auroirt) and get some reading in.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

Yeah, I was gonna say that it takes about 20-30 minutes from the airport into the downtown/French Quarter area, so it would be cutting it really close i.e. you'd spend a max 30 minutes in the city before having to head back and go through security again.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

There is an Acme Oyster House in the main terminal...you would still have to go out then pass back thru security but you will have plenty of time to do that..I believe Acme at the airport has all the same food items that they have in their other branches.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

I think there's also a Praline Connection in the airport, but we didn't check out the menu. If it's anything like their main restaurant on Frenchman, it's prob good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

I'm curious as to how you ended up with a layover in New Orleans. Nearly all of our flights originate or terminate at MSY. Are you flying Southwest? I know some connections are possible on SW if you're going east-west, particularly to/from Florida.

For 3 hours, I'd hang around the airport. Bring a book because once you leave the gate areas (there are 4 small concourses), you have to go through the security apparatus again!

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

Yeah I'm flying Southwest out of Seattle with a change of planes in NO on my way to Orlando.

Coulda gotten into Orlando an hour earlier with another airline but they wanted a couple hundred bucks more so I'll trade an hour for $200.00 just about anyday.

Thanks, everybody, for the advice on drive time to downtown, airport eateries etc.

I had the pleasure of dining at some fine restaurants and seeing New Orleans a few years back and it is a fascinating city.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

There is a seafood restaurant close the the airport called the Harbor/Fisherman's Cove on Esplanade and they have excellent gumbo and all the yummy seafood choices you could get in the quarter w/out the drive. Not fancy and sometimes a wait, but you can usually skinny in at the bar for service.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

Post Katrina, we have had an increase in Latin American restaurants. There are a handful close to the airport and they are cheap and casual, more like a cantina. The food is typically Central American, but sometimes is more Mexican.

I don't know if this would interest you, but I thought to throw it out and let you know that it is an option. If you want more info, feel free to write me back.

The security lines are usually not too bad at the New Orleans airport (although, to be honest, I don't fly Southwest normally, so it's a different terminal than I'm used to). And, actually the food inside Terminal D (which is not Southwest), is pretty good - I've had red beans and rice and breakfast. There is also a place outside of security between Terminal C & D (closer to C), but I'm not sure if that is the Acme place already mentioned. Their food isn't bad either. It's a medium walk from your Southwest Terminal.

Hope this helps!

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

Thank you for the information'

10. Re: 3 hour lay over in New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 11:26